• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Jazz Band

Kirstin Deal

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I just found out that my school will most likely be starting a jazz band next year, and if that happens, I’ll most likely play guitar.
I play a little bit of jazz, but I wanted to know if any of you guys do or have ever been a part of a jazz band, or have experience in jazz, and if so, then what resources would you recommend to learn more about jazz playing, and what would you suggest I do to prepare for jazz band?
Also what theory would be useful to know in jazz?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I dont really have any exoerience woth a jazz band I sometimes throw some gypsy jazz at people I jam with ir jam by myself at home. As for theory know your scales and be able to solo over key changes. Hope this helps

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
I don’t have any experience playing in a jazz band. But I would suggest looking up guitar players such as Allan holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale Wes Montgomery, django reindhart. Some of these are fusion players, gypsy jazz players and stabdard jazz players. All amazing players in their own right. Technically and harmonically. I think syn may have been taught by Brett garsed but I could be wrong.
I would suggest knowing your scales inside out, back to front.
Teach yourself some jazz standards that you might enjoy listening to. Become familiar with the different chords that they use, the different scales and different modes they utilise. Learn licks and use them in your own playing. Don’t steal them directly, learn them and change them to something more of you’re own style. I try not tovlearn solos note for note because I don’t want to become a carbon copy of another guitar player. Add in or take away notes so they are more personal to you. Develop your own sound and style.
I think jazz is definitely one of the more difficult styles to learn to play and theorise so don’t be put off if it’s difficult at first. Have fun with it and melt some faces!!

G

I’m by no means a Jazz Guitarist, but I’d consider a lot of my theory knowledge to be Jazz based.
There is an incredible book called Jazzology by Robert Rawlins and No Eddine Bahha. Basic theory of music would really help however it does start from the very basics of Jazz theory. It teaches you everything from chords, scales, sheets, licks and so on. I found this book very useful and thats coming from my Un-Jazz background. It also goes into substitutions, cadences,formulas and degrees, ermmm, you name it. Give it a look.
Other than this, theory to know will be scale and chord knowledge, fretboard theory, inversions, chord progressions, a solid sense of rhythm, and also, developing your ear.
Hope this helps. Buy the book

Synner Endless Summer Collection