• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

John Mayer guitar Tone??

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I was wondering what makes Mayers creamy singing live guitar sound or more specificly how to get close to it.

I was listening to "Out of my mind" and He holds a Note for what seems forever. And I thought wow, how can He make a Note Ring so Long, He can't use too much gain, or does he?

I have two coil splittable Syn Pickups and a Boss Katana 100. How could I get close to His Tone without buying a 2.5k silver Sky?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Get something that resembles a dumble. Vertex effects has 3 of them in their collection and I own a mad professor twimble which does it too. He uses a steel string singer so look for that pedal in the vertex range and you should come pretty close to continuum tone.

There are two things I like to note tol:
    1. John Mayer combines amps a lot and most specifically his signature two rock amplifier and his dumble amplifier (he has a signature PRS amp now which does that sounds too)
    2. Tone is also in the fingers. like the way you hit strings and stuff like that. What you will need is a strat though. John Mayer rolled down the tone a lot because he doesn't like a bunch of the frequencies you get when you have it up to 10, that's also what the pickups in his silver sky do by default.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Get something that resembles a dumble. Vertex effects has 3 of them in their collection and I own a mad professor twimble which does it too. He uses a steel string singer so look for that pedal in the vertex range and you should come pretty close to continuum tone.

There are two things I like to note tol:
    1. John Mayer combines amps a lot and most specifically his signature two rock amplifier and his dumble amplifier (he has a signature PRS amp now which does that sounds too)
    2. Tone is also in the fingers. like the way you hit strings and stuff like that. What you will need is a strat though. John Mayer rolled down the tone a lot because he doesn't like a bunch of the frequencies you get when you have it up to 10, that's also what the pickups in his silver sky do by default.

Yeah I read that he often combines amps. But I won't get any new Gear for that now. That's why I was more interested in the Basic settings and effects he uses so you could get close with a Katana

As a Metal Player I don't know much about bluesy guitar tones

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Hiroshi Nakauye

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I was looking at his pedal board and there are a lot of overdrive pedals. Plus a clean boost with clipping section. Maybe he runs the boost into the overdrive with light gain. Overdrive pedals adds compression usually, by nature of its function( if I remember correctly). If your katana has a compressor maybe try and add that in?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I was looking at his pedal board and there are a lot of overdrive pedals. Plus a clean boost with clipping section. Maybe he runs the boost into the overdrive with light gain. Overdrive pedals adds compression usually, by nature of its function( if I remember correctly). If your katana has a compressor maybe try and add that in?
    It does! I'll try that, thanks!

Synner Endless Summer Collection