• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My sound is…. off

Julian Barton

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
So I was playing minor swing and I noticed it sounds off. I have the right pitches but it seems like my acoustic isn’t producing the same tone. I noticed some gypsy jazz guitars have a smaller sound hole do I need one of those?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
There are a couple of things. To really get the gypsy jazz sound you need a gitane. Another thing is where do you hold your pick it should be about an inch after the sound hole in front of the bridge. Also could you record yourself playing minor swing I’d love to see😅

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
I agree with Ids! To truly capture this unique sound, you unfortunately need the right equipment. Fortunately there are great websites to accommodate you at a reasonable cost.
Here’s a great link to affordable gypsy guitars. http://www.djangobooks.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=asian-made-guitars&sid=182a9c776m8650l52wpqh89z15ckn98f
And here’s a link to my favorite gypsy pick. These however are expensive so don’t lose em!!
http://www.djangobooks.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=asian-made-guitars&sid=182a9c776m8650l52wpqh89z15ckn98f

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I probably should invest in a gypsy pick too. I have been using my ultex jazz III once up till now. I’ve been looking into timber tones for a while now. And are hose GBQ picks any good(12 pack wih 6 1.5 mm and 6 2 mm for $10 seems nice) or should I get one of those djangojazz ones?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I forgot to say. Strings may also be a thing. Personally I use savarez argentine strings and they are great.
And Syn that pick is only €15 and I have that amount of money on my paypal and I consider my paypal money as bonus money so i’ll be getting that pick as soon as I find a place which accepts payment by paypal

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Not sure whether you can order her but this is 2 for €20
https://www.souman.nl/wegen-picks-35mm-twins-zwart.html?source=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcmL1aPn2QIVgQvTCh1ClARVEAkYAyABEgLqVvD_BwE
P.s. I’m also a bit drunk

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just got some courses at Robin Nolan’s school and there was something ln gear. Basically he says the following on gear in one of the courses(his courses are great btw)
Guitar:
Eddy Polak Gypsy Guitars(luthier from israel)
Leo Eimers(Luthier from the Netherlands)
Robert Aylward(luthier from uk)
Jean Pierre Lavino(luthier from France)
Shelley Park(luthier from canada)
Saga Musical Instruments
Strings
Argentine Strings from the french company Savarez
Galli(italian company)
D’addario do a gypsy jazz line in strings
Picks
Dunlop 2.0 mm or 1.5 mm
Michel Wegen makes hand made gypsy jazz picks
Hope this helps a bit more maybe you can even find some good stuff yourself because the guitars may be expensive and the picks are as well

Synner Endless Summer Collection