• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Notes

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Try to remember the notes on E string all the way to 12th fret. Then you’ll already know notes on two strings cause there are two E strings (low and high). Then when you are comfortable with that you can start learning the A string. After that you can connect low E string with D string and A string with G string. What I mean by that is that notes on D string are 2 frets up the neck from the notes on E string ( 5th fret on E string is the same note as 7th fret on D string, 6th fret E string is the same note as 8th fret D string and so on) and same thing with A string and G ( 5th fret A string is the same note on 7th fret G string). Then you just have the B string left which you just have to memorise and thats it. That’s how I learned the fretboard, maybe it will help you. Just take your time, it took me a while to memorise all that but eventually I learned it.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Great advice, Filip! Another thing I would add to that – since you already read – would be to start with open position and read some simple guitar exercises. Get to know that position well. Then move up to 5th position (5th fret) and do the same thing. When I started reading I worked in almost strictly 5th position. I could reach down (out of position) and grab any note below A on the 6th string that I needed. So that took me from low E (6th string) all the way up to C on the 1st string 8th fret. You can build great reading skills from just a couple of positions.
Another great exercise is to read an exercise on one string. So play everything just on the B string – or the G string. That will definitely get you familiar with the fretboard.

Cassandra Herne

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Something I use on my students is to take up a really easy piece, maybe 5 repeating notes, and ask them to find atleast 2 different places on the guitar where to play it from.
After about 10 or so easy pieces move on to a bit harder one and so on. That kind of thought work helps you to not only know the notes on all of the strings but also gives a bit of a practice on using them because I’ve noticed that if you just plainly memorize all the notes it is a bit harder to comfortably use all the different positions.