• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Pick slipping problems

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
How do I stop the problem of having the pick slipping out of my grip? Do I just need to grip the pick tighter, or should I wear gloves when playing? It’s happened to me several times where my pick slips from my hand. Is there a technique to stop this from happening?

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had this problem and for me the cause of the issue was that I was holding the pick *too* hard as well as picking too hard. I started picking the strings lighter and giving a more relaxed grip and I can’t tell you exactly when the pick stopped slipping but it certainly helped. I also use picks with a matte grip finish so that helps, glossy picks like guitar center picks are very slippery for me still.

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I had the issue for the first 4 months or so of playing, It kind of just went away for me. But its hard to remember because that was so long ago. You definitely dont want to hold the pick too hard otherwise it causes all sorts of tension in your hand and arm and that can make it harder to play.
    Is it slipping with all types of playing, or only certain aspects? Like if you play single string licks, does it slip? if you run scales over all strings etc? Might only be certain aspects of your playing that make it slip and others are fine.
    When you are playing, are you watching your picking hand? What may help is when running scales or chords that you know, put all your focus on the picking hand and try different tensions to see what works for you. Perhaps try hold the pick at an angle instead of hitting the strings straight on with the pick. Maybe some more professional and knowledgable guys can add to this.