• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Staying focused

Greg Howard

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Poland, OH
So, I have a problem. I have been playing for about 3 months, just recently my strumming has become somewhat acceptable, to the point that I can jam on some power chords and it sounds pretty decent. There in lies my problem though, when i start to practice, i will lose focus as i just want to riff on some chords because it’s fun as shit :D. I’m also starting to learn my way around Reaper, so I am laying down some tracks, which is also fun as shit 😀 so I am having a hard time putting in time on scales and other fundamentals. Even though scales to me are still fun as I am just learning them, but creating my own sound, albeit, very basic sounding riffs, has taken over my entire playing. I justify it by telling myself that an hour of playing around is still better then none at all. Anyone else go through this at the beginning?

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
I think what you’re doing is still good. Developing your own sound is still important. This is what makes players stand out from the rest. Maybe write up a practise schedule that separates writing to practising theory.
I’ve been playing 20 years and theory has always taken a back foot with me, to the point that I don’t no a lot, and now I’m playing catch up. So don’t neglect it.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yes it does sound simulatie. In general Just pick your goals for every week/month/year and try to meet them. Make sure you have realistic goals and not goals like being Syn within a year. Meeting your goals usually has something to do with having the discipline to work on it on a daily bidaily basis. Hope this helps