• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

String muting

Szymon Dec

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi. Do you have any advices how to mute low strings? When I’m playing I’m using this fleshy part below thumb to mute strings but a lot of people say that anchoring is bad thing because it adds tension etc. Should I change to play with hand floating above strings?

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m pretty sure “anchoring” is putting your pinky on the body somewhere below the strings and that definitely is troublesome when you want to play hybrid picking, the thing you’re talking about is a typicall muting technique which i don’t consider a bad habit, but I might be wrong. Generally speaking, if you’re comfortable with your technique and it doesn’t hurt you or stand on your way to playing the way you want to be heard and to hear yourself, it’s probably ok.
What’s interesting, though, is which part of your right hand you use for muting. I mute high strings with the outer flesh of my palm, the below your pinky, and for the low strings I use my free left hand fingers. I would never have come up with the idea of muting my low strings with any part of my right hand, and especially with the one just below the thumb.

Szymon Dec

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hmmm.. I think I wasn’t clear. Just when I’m playing E B G I’m using this big fleshy part of palm below thumb And when I’m playing D A E I’m seting one of left hand fingers flat to mute E B G. I think it’s similiar to your way. Thank you for makeing it clear.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
I think it may also partially depend on your hand/finger size. I see Syn mute top strings with his thumb quite often, but I’m pretty sure he has an abnormally long thumb lol. I would pay attention to what your favorite players do, and try out different approaches until you find what works best for you.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I don’t think that he has a long thumb but the fact that his guitar has a ultra thin c neck shape. I recently switched from a cheap guitar with a huge neck to a guitar with a thin c neck shape and it’s so much easier to play with a thinner neck. It’s also smaller so it’s easier to move around the neck.

John Setzler

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I don’t know if it’s my amp, action, technique, etc., but the issue I’m having is when I’m playing licks and riffs I can hear the strings that I’m not playing (even muted, I can still at least hear a buzz or harmonic). Something along the lines of unwanted string noise. Thoughts?