• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tremonti vs. Syn

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
Mark Tremonti just got voted as the guitarist of the decade for Guitar World magazine, my obvious response was nope. Nothing against Tremonti, great guitarist, but compared to some of the others, nope. I'm not exactly emphatic with the new wave of guitarists, (bar Syn of course), but that's just me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    I like Tremonti, I think he is a really good guitarist and musician in general and I really like is work with Alter Bridge, but not sure about guitarist of the decade... and being a readers vote I would say is a lot of fan based result maybe. Not taking anything away from him as I said before as I been listening to the bands he was part of for a long time and I always thought he is really good.

Reactions: Edward John

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Aylesbury, England
    Tremonti is very good. O doubt about that, but I feel like syn is another animal. For me syn deserves it more than anyone, from the nightmare album with amazing guitars all the way through to the masterpiece of the stage. But hey ho, that's just me. Not to mention he knows alot about alot! Gypsy jazz, jazz, blues, metal, rock... the list goes on!

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Tremonti is very good. O doubt about that, but I feel like syn is another animal. For me syn deserves it more than anyone, from the nightmare album with amazing guitars all the way through to the masterpiece of the stage. But hey ho, that's just me. Not to mention he knows alot about alot! Gypsy jazz, jazz, blues, metal, rock... the list goes on!
    He's a decent guitarist, but best of the decade, nope. Heck, I'd give it to an elderly Tony Iommi before I gave it to him, based on his work on 13 alone.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I like Tremonti, I think he is a really good guitarist and musician in general and I really like is work with Alter Bridge, but not sure about guitarist of the decade... and being a readers vote I would say is a lot of fan based result maybe. Not taking anything away from him as I said before as I been listening to the bands he was part of for a long time and I always thought he is really good.
    He's decent, but best of the decade, nope. I can give you a list of Power Metal lead players that destroy him. Absolute joke.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ultimate guitar did like... 5 year end polls. And 5 decade end polls.

Alter bridge came out on top everyone. I dont really listen much. But Myles and slash are good together. I'm skeptical on alter bridge cause they are my best friends band and I'd hate to not like them and then hear them around her lol.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Those lists don't really mean anything. Josh Middleton from Sylosis/Architects is better than 90% of those guys, yet he isn't in there. It's mostly just popularity contest and Tremonti is one of the most popular guitar players currently.
    Which is surprising, you wouldn't expect the guitarist for Creed to be popular.

• Haha
    Reactions: Daniel Sobota

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Ultimate guitar did like... 5 year end polls. And 5 decade end polls.

Alter bridge came out on top everyone. I dont really listen much. But Myles and slash are good together. I'm skeptical on alter bridge cause they are my best friends band and I'd hate to not like them and then hear them around her lol.
    Is Ultimate Guitar UK based, I only ask because AB are a theatre act in the US, but are playing Arenas in the UK.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Tremonti is a LOT more than decent, and he's easily the most PROLIFIC guitarist of the decade, between the Creed reunion, Several Alter Bridge albums (some of them very good) and all of the Tremonti albums (4 of them - three of them excellent).

You also have to take into account that while I definitely believe Syn is the better guitar player, we have a deeper window into him here than the casual fan or guitarist gets. The Stage is my favorite album, but it didn't catch on like they hoped and also alienated a number of fans, as well, by being TOO COMPLEX for them. I say we're better off without them people, but as a numbers game, Mark's probably got the most visibility out there.

I sat down with Mark for an artist session about 5 years ago, and he's just as nice and humble and real as Syn is. Sure, I would have preferred Syn get the deserved recognition, but I can't fault the choice of Mark, either. He has definitely earned it.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Tremonti is a LOT more than decent, and he's easily the most PROLIFIC guitarist of the decade, between the Creed reunion, Several Alter Bridge albums (some of them very good) and all of the Tremonti albums (4 of them - three of them excellent).

You also have to take into account that while I definitely believe Syn is the better guitar player, we have a deeper window into him here than the casual fan or guitarist gets. The Stage is my favorite album, but it didn't catch on like they hoped and also alienated a number of fans, as well, by being TOO COMPLEX for them. I say we're better off without them people, but as a numbers game, Mark's probably got the most visibility out there.

I sat down with Mark for an artist session about 5 years ago, and he's just as nice and humble and real as Syn is. Sure, I would have preferred Syn get the deserved recognition, but I can't fault the choice of Mark, either. He has definitely earned it.
    Yeah, I'm with you. He's the reason why any of the bands he was in got successful. I'm not too crazy about any of his stuff, but the man definitely has the chops.

Still would prefer Syn, Matt Heafy or Josh Middleton haha.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Honestly? That was the entire reason why I avoided alter bridge. I didnt even know who Myles was until slash. Now I'm not too sure if I wanna go back or not. I'm content with slash. Is he really THAT good?

Yes. And Alter Bridge is EXCELLENT. However, if you like thrashier stuff, listen to TREMONTI. Start with Cauterize or All I Was.

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    He's decent, but best of the decade, nope. I can give you a list of Power Metal lead players that destroy him. Absolute joke.
    As Ed said I think he is a lot more than decent. If is voted by fans theyre not looking just if the guy is that good technicaly or whatever but if they follow the band etc they will vote. They will not vote for the best but they will vote for the ones they listen to, at least is the way I see it. But I understand your point and I agree, I dont see him as guitarist of the decade IMO but I cant really judge that as I dont have the skills to decide whos better than who :LOL:

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    As Ed said I think he is a lot more than decent. If is voted by fans theyre not looking just if the guy is that good technicaly or whatever but if they follow the band etc they will vote. They will not vote for the best but they will vote for the ones they listen to, at least is the way I see it. But I understand your point and I agree, I dont see him as guitarist of the decade IMO but I cant really judge that as I dont have the skills to decide whos better than who :LOL:
    I never meant decent in terms of ability, definitely not, there probably isn't anything on the guitar Tremonti couldn't do. He's a technical master. But in terms of songs? Nope, he's not got it. I can't think of an amazing Tremonti song. This kind of reminds me of the Blackmore vs Satriani debate, Satriani is far more technical, but in terms of songs, not even a contest.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK

I don't doubt that Mark is a great guy, he seems it in interviews. But in terms of songs? Nope. Alter Bridge, musically aren't much different from Creed, and Creed wasn't all that impressive musically. The only difference is the singer. Stapp has a polarizing voice, so it's no wonder AB has gotten more respect as a band. I can't think of a single Tremonti related song that comes close to any A7X song I enjoy. Tremonti may be more technical, actually I really don't know, maybe they are on par, but Syn has the better songs, no question.