• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Waking the Fallen tempo change?

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Hope I can explain this question well. Obviously WTF is the same power chord repeated. But at 53 seconds when everything comes in, it sounds like the rhythm changes or the tempo changes on the guitar or maybe an extra note? Are my ears playing tricks on me? Maybe the Revs drum riff is throwing me off.

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Okay, I'm sure there's a NAME for this and I'm equally sure PG knows it, as well as some of the other students here, but what you're hearing is the riff (unaccompanied) gives a false sense of what "beat 1" is, so you get a feel for the tempo and where you tap your hand or toe for the "1" and "3" and then the drum part comes in and shows you that what you THOUGHT was the "1" was actually the "and" after the "4" or similar, if that makes any sense. It's similar to what happens with the piano on this song, once the band comes in:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Okay, I'm sure there's a NAME for this and I'm equally sure PG knows it, as well as some of the other students here, but what you're hearing is the riff (unaccompanied) gives a false sense of what "beat 1" is, so you get a feel for the tempo and where you tap your hand or toe for the "1" and "3" and then the drum part comes in and shows you that what you THOUGHT was the "1" was actually the "and" after the "4" or similar, if that makes any sense. It's similar to what happens with the piano on this song, once the band comes in:

That makes a lot of sense. And this song was a good example. I've also never heard of this band, I'll check out more of their stuff.

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Pick up beats! Lots of songs don't start on the downbeat, though most do. So if you assume the song is starting on the downbeat (1) and it's not - at some point there are extra beats and it sounds funny.
    First, let's listen to The Eagles "Take It Easy" and let's assume it starts on 1 (the downbeat). Count along with the intro - 1234,1234 etc. Every time a chord changes it should be on beat 1. When the drums come in - you will find you have a train wreck.

Now check this out:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Pick up beats! Lots of songs don't start on the downbeat, though most do. So if you assume the song is starting on the downbeat (1) and it's not - at some point there are extra beats and it sounds funny.
    First, let's listen to The Eagles "Take It Easy" and let's assume it starts on 1 (the downbeat). Count along with the intro - 1234,1234 etc. Every time a chord changes it should be on beat 1. When the drums come in - you will find you have a train wreck.

Now check this out:
    Thanks PG!!!! That makes a lot of sense and thanks for The Eagles example. And you're right. It is a trainwreck. 😆

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    @Ed Seith and @Brian Haner Sr. I just listened to WTF again with this new knowledge that you both shared. If I start counting on 2 then it lines up. Can't wait to try this on some other songs. See if I can figure out what beat they start on. Thanks again guys.
    It's tricky sometimes. It almost always it ends up being on the and of 4. But there are certainly exceptions.