• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

what dream theater album should I listen to first

G

I know this is sad but I was listening to new music and one song I really liked and I looked down and it was a dream theater song so I was wondering what album should I start with. I already knew before I listened to this song John was a great guitar player but I when I actually listened to it I was blown away. But yeah let me know. And yes I know I should have got into them earlier but I was just stuck listening to Metallica and I think Metallica will always be my favorite band because just the memories of listening to there songs. Anyways I’m getting of track just let me know.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Images and Words from 1992 was their breakthrough. I remember around that time, different musician friends all apparoached me separately asking, “Have you heard DREAM THEATER yet?” I hadn’t. Youtube, streaming, and anything online didn’t really exist yet, but the local music paper (the East Coast Rocker at the time, later renamed the Aquarian) advertised that they were playing that weekend at L’Amour in Brooklyn, NY. That was about a 90 minute drive, so me and the other guitar player in my band decided to go. Uninitiated.
    We were simply not prepared. Nothing had EVER sounded like that ever before. No band alive approached that level of musicianship in 1992.
    We were literally nauseous. Both of us. John joked that “usually, when you see a guitar player like that, you joke about ‘oh well, I can always play bass,’ but here, you look over at that little fucker flying all over the bass and it’s even worse. I’m gonna go put legs on my guitars and turn them into coffee tables.” It was just that mind-blowing.
    A few years later (95 I think), through some connections, my band got to mix our demo at Bear Tracks, where I&W was recorded. Amazing studio, but those are mostly from a bygone era.
    Anyway, that’s my favorite Dream Theater record. It surely sounds a bit dated now, but it’s still up there as among their best for songwriting and performance. Awake was a little heavier, but very good, too. I feel like they lost something important in their writing when Kevin Moore left.
    Of the modern albums, I like the ST one the best.

D K

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Belgium
    I like most songs from the album black clouds and silver linings, those songs are all quite long though. Scenes from a memory is also great.
    By the way, what was the specific song that you were listening to that made you ask this question?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Julian Penz

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Definitely Images and Words, then Train of Thought, after that another Masterpiece you should listen to is Metropolis pt.2! You should hear this album in its entirety😏 It has just an amazing Story! After that you know the hard and the Prog side of Dream Theater.👍