• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU from Phil Spector

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo Family!
For this months album rec I thought I’d rock some holiday spirit with A Christmas Gift To You From Phil Spector.

This may be just another Christmas record at first glance and listen, but it was an unbelievably influential record by an unbelievably influential producer, Phil Spector.

Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys has claimed that this is the most influential record on his songwriting and producing. This inspired the brilliance that is his magnum opus, Pet Sounds. You will immediately hear the influence after you familiarize yourself with Spector’s work.

Phil Spector is probably more infamous now for the murder of his wife, Lana Clarkson, in which he appeared on trial to be apathetic all the while donning an outlandish perm and small spectacles, my new look.

Phil Spector’s :explode-skull:Wall Of Sound:explode-skull: was an ingenious use of blending instruments with a lot of compression to achieve a unique hybrid instrument with its comprising instruments to be virtually indistinguishable from their sum. He also doubled a lot of instruments and used an echo chamber reverb to create a massive sound for the time.

I’ve always felt that his records, especially vocally, were pushed to the max. The “breakup” or naturally overdriven nature of his compression techniques added next level intensity. You can really hear it on the tracks with The Ronnettes. Veronica Bennett(who married Spector and took the name), lead singer of The Ronnettes, really shines on this record. Also, Christmas(Baby Please Come Home) featuring Darlene Love, stands out as perfection among all components; songwriting, performance, arrangement, and production.

Really try to listen to the arrangement of the instruments as well as the texture, meaning tone, overdrive, intensity, etc. I hope this inspires you to think outside of the box when you create. Try doubling guitars with pianos or other instruments to get a sound no ones ever heard before. I do this ALL THE TIME in the studio and it’s the only way to create something truly unique. It can also inspire how the song is written by how an unusual hybrid of textures makes you feel.

I can’t wait to hear what you all think!

Happy Holidays my beautiful family, I wish you all prosperity and good health!

And get ready for 2021, it’s gonna be one hell of a ride!

All my love,
SYN
:syngates:

Synner Endless Summer Collection

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    For this months album rec I thought I’d rock some holiday spirit with A Christmas Gift To You From Phil Spector.

This may be just another Christmas record at first glance and listen, but it was an unbelievably influential record by an unbelievably influential producer, Phil Spector.

Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys has claimed that this is the most influential record on his songwriting and producing. This inspired the brilliance that is his magnum opus, Pet Sounds. You will immediately hear the influence after you familiarize yourself with Spector’s work.

Phil Spector is probably more infamous now for the murder of his wife, Lana Clarkson, in which he appeared on trial to be apathetic all the while donning an outlandish perm and small spectacles, my new look.

Phil Spector’s :explode-skull:Wall Of Sound:explode-skull: was an ingenious use of blending instruments with a lot of compression to achieve a unique hybrid instrument with its comprising instruments to be virtually indistinguishable from their sum. He also doubled a lot of instruments and used an echo chamber reverb to create a massive sound for the time.

I’ve always felt that his records, especially vocally, were pushed to the max. The “breakup” or naturally overdriven nature of his compression techniques added next level intensity. You can really hear it on the tracks with The Ronnettes. Veronica Bennett(who married Spector and took the name), lead singer of The Ronnettes, really shines on this record. Also, Christmas(Baby Please Come Home) featuring Darlene Love, stands out as perfection among all components; songwriting, performance, arrangement, and production.

Really try to listen to the arrangement of the instruments as well as the texture, meaning tone, overdrive, intensity, etc. I hope this inspires you to think outside of the box when you create. Try doubling guitars with pianos or other instruments to get a sound no ones ever heard before. I do this ALL THE TIME in the studio and it’s the only way to create something truly unique. It can also inspire how the song is written by how an unusual hybrid of textures makes you feel.

All my love,
    SYN
    Yo Syn! i missed you!🥺♥️ never listened to this album but i’m gonna do it for sure, thank you again for the recommendation. i love you, and i wish you all the best! be safe. have great holidays! 🎄♥️🎶

Reactions: Syn Gates

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Great! I wasn't much into Christmas spirit this year, but this album rec ignited a little sparkle of joy in me. So, I'm gonna listen to it and share my thoughts later.
    Thank you, Syn!
    Happy Holidays to you and your family. I wish you all love, health and happiness. May 2021 be an amazing year to you!
    I love you ❤

• Love

Çağla Gür

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019

All my love,
    SYN

All my love,
    SYN
    First of all, thank you Brian for introducing us to different music every month. I think our horizons expand the more we listen to different styles.I just listened the album.I knew the wall of sound thing from physics, but thanks to you, now I learned the music part too! Diving into new things helps a lot in the quarantine process. Thanks again.
    Btw happy xmas already🎄I hope 2021 will be better.❤

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Such a fun album, this one has always been played at my grandparents house around the holidays with other Xmas albums, up until the last few years. My granddads getting older, 93 as of last week so I think all the talking and excitement and everything else that comes with the holidays as well as the addition of music all at once is becoming a bit much for him at this point.

But yeah, definitely one of my favorite holiday albums up at there with and beaten only by Michael Bubles holiday album (please hold your laughter 🤪). Favorite song would probably be The Ronettes version of Frosty the Snowman. I always dig that song no matter who’s doing it haha. That and Parade of the Wooden Soliders and Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) are 👌

Funny enough, up until you said something, I didn’t know that Brian Wilson was so influenced by it, but after thinking about it, it makes so much sense haha. Really fun choice this month brother! I hope everyone has the happiest of happy holidays, here’s to a more normal 2021!
    Cheers friends 🍻

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal

All my love,
    SYN
    Alright so I just listened to the record, here is my takeaway:

The music is christmas music, you like or you don't. there isn't much to say about it. However, the performances are amazing. Even more when considering that is was from a period where autotune and all those studio techniques to correct mistakes didn't exist!

Now here is the thing. At first glance, the sound isn't that impressive by today's standard. It could easily be brushed off as just another vintage christmas album. Until I realized that this was produced in 1962!! This is absolutely well produced considering the limitations of the time! I listened to this record on my studio headphone so I could really pay attention to what I was listening. What impressed me most is how everything blends together so well and that I felt like every instrument complimented the other however, if I paid enough attention, I could still clearly hear each instruments. Every sound was given the right amount of space for them to breath without taking away from others! One thing I noticed as well was somewhat the texture on the voices. I dont know exactly what it is but I feel it's some sort of slight overdrive that gives it a texture that really makes it ''pop'' if that makes sense? Other than that, the layering of the strings with the choir were absolutely amazing which is something I use myself. I noticed this particularly in the song Christmas (Baby please come home).

Now I followed the link because I was curious about the wall of sound. I have heard of it but I didn't fully know what it was. This seems to me to be the originator of modern compression! It was really interesting to read how they had to do it back then knowing that today it can be done with digital plug ins. We have come such a long way. And it was truly revolutionary back then!

Anyways, I really appreciated this album for the creativity behind its conception. It's truly is a wonderful piece of work. And while the sound of it might have aged by today's standard, I feel like it gives it a unique touch that keeps it enjoyable and fitting for any christmas event.

All said and done, happy holidays to you and your family! I wish you only the very best! :syngates::rock-hand:

P.S: I really want to see you rocking that perm and those small spectacles hehe

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Such a fun album, this one has always been played at my grandparents house around the holidays with other Xmas albums, up until the last few years. My granddads getting older, 93 as of last week so I think all the talking and excitement and everything else that comes with the holidays as well as the addition of music all at once is becoming a bit much for him at this point.

But yeah, definitely one of my favorite holiday albums up at there with and beaten only by Michael Bubles holiday album (please hold your laughter 🤪). Favorite song would probably be The Ronettes version of Frosty the Snowman. I always dig that song no matter who’s doing it haha. That and Parade of the Wooden Soliders and Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) are 👌

Funny enough, up until you said something, I didn’t know that Brian Wilson was so influenced by it, but after thinking about it, it makes so much sense haha. Really fun choice this month brother! I hope everyone has the happiest of happy holidays, here’s to a more normal 2021!
    Cheers friends 🍻
    My grandma, where the music in the family comes from, is 93 as well❤️

Ya Brian was a super fan of Spectors. Funny to think of such a pure and intrinsic genius like Brian Wilson being a crazy fan boy. He used to stalk him a little and then hang with Spector in studio. I believe he layed down some piano for Spector(maybe on this record) that never made it because it didn’t meet Phil’s standards lol.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Just finished it. Well it was a fun listening and put me in the holiday mood for sure! There is not a song on this album that I disliked. I couldn't agree with @Radu-Cristian Perde more about the fact that each instrument was so well blended with the others but at the same time I felt like I could tell every one of them apart if I paid a bit attention...and the vocals were absolutely killer too! My favourites were from Darlene Love, but every singer was fantastic in this!!
    Favourite songs of the album were "Christmas (Baby please come home)", "A Marshmellow World" and "Sleigh Ride".
    Totally having this on repeat for all of the holidays!!!
    Again, Merry Christmas and happy 2021 🖤 (and I quote: let's hope it's a good one 🙃😂)