• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Allan Holdsworth

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
I love his “None Too Soon” album as an intro to Allan because they are covers that hopefully will have one or two familiar tunes. He reharmonizes them brilliantly. If you check out some Marshall Harrison videos on YouTube he demonstrates some pretty cool Holdsworth licks that have helped me. Other than that I would recommend getting an app like “Capo” that slows down audio so that you can transcribe your personal favorite licks or entire solos.
Hope this helps!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Haven’t really watched it yet but I found this a while ago https://youtu.be/4JjBdnGDuYM. I’m still wlrking on the ending bit of The Stage so I don’t think I’m gomna attempt Allan holdsworth for now. I do like his stuff it is very original. A while ago I made a playlist of some Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale and some more fusion stuff(maybe some Avenged too but I am not sure) https://open.spotify.com/user/1184633230/playlist/6IDfiphSCNmSkbkVp79Aq3?si=TXBYZhixSDO3U_xvS38YZA

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Totally Richard, the greats are never happy lol.
Frank Gambale is definitely the influence that changed my life. Harmonically he’s a lot more rock friendly as well and u can apply those licks straight “outta the box” where as Allan’s stuff takes some time and creativity. And even tho he saounds the same on an acoustic(true story) I have great trouble applying Legato in every musical setting( although anything’s possible with tons of compression).
Add in Steve Val for creativity, Dime for sheer brutality and feel, and TJ helmerich(Danielle Gotardo as well) for tapping and that’ll keep ya busy for a few lifetimes

Synner Endless Summer Collection