• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Am I the only one who does this?

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
I know some solos from A7X and other bands. When I create or improvise my own solos I use some of the same patterns or licks and maybe change up the rhythm or patterns or played a note that is picked different amount of times so I vary it a lot to make my own. I know I should really use scales. I only know pentatonic and I think the unholy confession scale lol.
Is this a bad way of learning?

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
i wouldn’t say its a bad way of learning but there is a lot more out there lol. Try to learn your modes, and as many different scales as you can. Its important though that when you learn your scales that you try to use them that you don’t stay within these scales. Try to think outside the box, in terms of melodies and such. You don’t want to become a robotic shredder that has no sense of melody.
Im not very articulate when it comes to explaining things. So watch this video by the god himself guthrie govan. He explains much better what im trying to say within the first few minutes.