• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best Guitar Tones in Rock Music

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gene Sullivan

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Unpopular opinion: I’ve never cared for Gilmour’s live tone as much as the studio. Too much compression, too… slippery. Even when he hits the Big Muff it doesn’t have the same sort of bite.
Billy Howerdel’s work on both A Perfect Circle albums just sounds fantastic. Adam Jones, too, particularly on Lateralus. Parabol/Parabola, aside from being a great song, is so wonderfully recorded and mixed, I could just fall into it.
On a more indie note, Dean Wareham and Sean Eden from Luna consistently produce beautiful tone, both live and in studio. Also, Sean is a really funny guy.
Here’s a live set from KEXP that I think is a good example of what they sound like.

Their last studio album, Rendezvous, is just magnificently produced from start to finish. Even the weaker songs (there’s a couple) still sound fantastic. Highly recommended.