• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Can you create your own scales?

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I’ve been playing around with my guitar and I chose 7 different notes to create a scale. I played around with those 7 notes and I came up with some riffs that I really like and they sound “new” to me and very different from everything else I’ve been listening to. So my question is, is that really a scale or is it just 7 random notes. Does there have to be some kind of a rule so it’s actually considered a scale? I know that a scale should have 7 different letters ( example: C major scale ( C,D,E,F,G,A,B ) but in my case it doesn’t. Even if i make it a sharp or a flat scale it still doesn’t have 7 different letters.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
There are a lot of different scales you have pentatonic, sixtatonic (im not good in greek but it is the blues scale), septatonic and octatonic (dominished scale is an example in think) there even a chromatic scale. I think a scale is a series of notes that is not a melody or anything arpeggio or anything even Syn saide in an interview he makes up his own scales sometimes. Personally I always make up scales by checken the notes in thet chords im using and make a scale out of these notes (usually an existing scale)
Could you show the scale you can up with because im interested and I really like exotic scales (even though im not always sure how to use them)

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Post the riffs and we can analyze them! The technical definition of a scale is “any set of musical notes ordered by fundamental frequency or pitch. A scale ordered by increasing pitch is an ascending scale, and a scale ordered by decreasing pitch is a descending scale.” Its more important to think of things harmonically, like what chord or chords do the notes fit over? But yeah, post a video if you can!

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Oh I see.
The scale goes like this: A C# D D# E F# G#
I just googled to see if that scale exist and I realised that it’s almost identical to E major scale except B is changed with D. I even considered B as a “bonus note” because it sounded right. I guess it’s in our nature to somehow figure out what notes go together because I had no idea what notes were in E major scale and I chose almost every note from that scale except D.
I’ll upload a video tommorow. Would love to hear what you guys think. And be honest 😛

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I dont know if there is necessarily a name for this scale but its more of less A Major that also has the #4 or lydian note. You could totally throw that B back in there and it would work the same way. Post your riff and we can get a better idea how you’re using it!

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
I entered those notes in a guitar scale identifier and it didn’t recognise it as a scale. But there’s quite a big gap between the A and C# so I added a B and it says this is the D# jewish (magen abot) scale.
I think it’s unlikely that you will come up with a scale that no one has used yet, since there are only 12 different notes and possibilities are thus limited. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to come up with “new” scales, it’s better to figure out things on your own rather than to blindly copy them from the internet.

Synner Endless Summer Collection