• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Changing strings and breakage 😭

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Okay, so I’ve changed the strings on my Ovation acoustic numerous times, and have NEVER had the issue I had tonight.

So, I changed my strings and thus began tuning via my chromatic tuner pedal. Oddly, when I’d pluck a string and just let it right out it was super wonky. It was like.... “hey girl, this is an A...ohnope it’s a B...no!!!!! It’s an F !!!”
    Lol.

So I’m like ....okay.... Let’s stretch the strings

The stretching commenced.

Try again.

okay....we are
    getting an actual note now!!!

All was fine and dandy until I got to my high E string and then..... it broke....scaring the shit out of me (literally, I had heart palpitations as I’ve NEVER broken a string before) and some slight damage to my hand lmao.
    Wth went wrong ?!?!
    The obvious answer is it was wound too tightly, but that’s not the case. What else should I be looking for ?

As I’ve said, I’ve changed the strings on this particular guitar many times and have never had this issue.

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Okay, so I’ve changed the strings on my Ovation acoustic numerous times, and have NEVER had the issue I had tonight.

So, I changed my strings and thus began tuning via my chromatic tuner pedal. Oddly, when I’d pluck a string and just let it right out it was super wonky. It was like.... “hey girl, this is an A...ohnope it’s a B...no!!!!! It’s an F !!!”
    Lol.

Try again.

okay....we are

All was fine and dandy until I got to my high E string and then..... it broke....scaring the shit out of me (literally, I had heart palpitations as I’ve NEVER broken a string before) and some slight damage to my hand lmao.
    Wth went wrong ?!?!
    The obvious answer is it was wound too tightly, but that’s not the case. What else should I be looking for ?

As I’ve said, I’ve changed the strings on this particular guitar many times and have never had this issue.
    It could have been a bad string..nothing is perfect

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana

Lol.

Try again.

okay....we are

Wth went wrong ?!?!

I second John on this, bad string. If you've never had any problems before thats gotta be it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    D’Addario nylon strings.

thanks ! Not gonna lie, I was absolutely furious because I’m always sooo careful ! Lol.
    Dont be too upset...my wife bought me a syn custom and i was going to tune it.
    Well i didnt know about the string clamps at the headstock...i broke the high e string so it was a week before i could get new strings...i was livid😀

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Dont be too upset...my wife bought me a syn custom and i was going to tune it.
    Well i didnt know about the string clamps at the headstock...i broke the high e string so it was a week before i could get new strings...i was livid😀
    Dude when i got my first floyd rose guitar i did the same thing 😂 i didnt know a thing about them i had no business messing with it lmao

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    D’Addario nylon strings.
    It broke at the bridge is why i said that...that seems reall odd to me
    thanks ! Not gonna lie, I was absolutely furious because I’m always sooo careful ! Lol.th
    If it broke at the bridge check the saddle, sometimes due to wear from the strings sharp edges can form there, and under tension cause string breakage.
    thanks ! I’ll look it over 👍🏻

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I can see what they said about the saddle being an issue, i cant see it being a weather issue cause its been winter for a while now. I dont really know what to tell you.[/QUOT

I’m going to assume it was just a bad string. Everything else is checking out so yay ! Lol. Now to just order some more and wait 😭