• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Floyd Rose "maintenance"…

Alec Lewis

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Ok so, my some what brand new Floyd rose shecter was having some problems with the tremelo bar coming loose a lot so I decided to take a look at it.(I know now that I could have just used thread tape) I was looking at the actual bridge itself and the threaded piece that is attached to the bridge came out. So I took the back plate off and looked inside and sure enough the two pieces holding the thread piece into the bridge were loose and they have fallen out of the back of the guitar… Now I’m left with the problem of reattaching the piece to the bridge. I was wondering whether it’s a better idea to take it to guitar center for help, or to do it myself?

BrandonJ

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    You could take the springs off then take the floyd out of the guitar to tighten it or you can leave it in the body and tighten it, but you would need to use the long side of the allen key, not the angled side.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    These are servicable parts. Approach it methodically and make notes or take pictures and it will be easy to put back together.
    Note where the knife edge blades on the bridge sit in the edge of the screws attached to the body. Take a pic.
    Remove the strings, remove the back cover plate, remove the springs. There are probably 3 of them, and they MAY have a clamp holding them into the bottom of the Floyd. If so, you can just remove them from the “claw” at the other end. Make note of where they’re attached.
    Then the whole trem should either fall out of the cavity or be easy to remove.
    After you fix, put it back in the body, re-set the springs. Before you restring, make sure the knife edges are where they belong.
    String, tune, tune, tune, tune, tune, and then lock the nut and go.