• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

For Those Who Need Help With Hail To The King Intro

J

Jak Angelescu

There are several people I’ve seen on here who have posted the fact that they need help with the intro. I thought that this would be a good thing to start where other members can provide their own advice and videos of instruction if they wish. I’ll be posting a video of “how to play” the intro tonight all the way up to the verse. The thing that makes it tricky, is that there’s string muting involved, timing the pull-offs and finger-positioning as well as endurance that are all necessary to make this intro work. I also believe pick positioning/gripping has a big factor in it, as with most ways it can overshoot each string and make your right hand move more than it has to. In my video I’ll be showing some exercises I developed on my own by using the chromatic scale I learned in the beginning lessons. These exercises will help with finger-to-finger response and strengthening as well as endurance and hand-to-hand coordination that is crucial to getting the intro solid. I’ll also teach how I play the intro. Syn plays a small part different than I do, as it looks like he flattens his index finger across the B and E strings for a part, and I’ve tried that a dozen million times and I just can’t do it that way. He may do it that way because he has enormous fingers and my way may be difficult for someone with large fingers. But I’ll be going over both ways tonight. If there’s any concerns or actual questions you have, let me know and I’ll be sure to cover it tonight in the video.
This is my prized cover of theirs and I think I have it down pretty good. And three months of battling with it and then having a light go off, I think I can offer some good insight on why some people may be struggling. If you’d like for me to make this video, let me know 🙂 if you’d like to make a video yourself to help others get a different perspective and insight, do so and post the link here 🙂

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
I have been trying to figure how to play this intro just now and I think the way to play this (or at least how I do it) is by using a downward 2-string sweep, similar to Syn’s etude sweep picking VI, except every note is picked.