• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Help needed - lost with what to work on, where to (re)start, motivation and mindset, etc.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hi everyone,
    Apologies for the long post, but I'm in need of some help.

So, I've been playing for around 7/8 years now. 5 of which were just basic self-taught chords and hooks from video game songs, the rest being with a tutor who taught me some basic exercises, a few small solos, things like that.

Lately more than ever though, I've been really, really struggling with a lot of things. At some point two or three years ago, I kinda dropped out of playing for quite a while due to a variety of reasons, ranging from things going on that I had to prioritise, to simply taking a huge hit to my motivation and getting lost doing other things. When I tried to get back into it, I realised that it had seriously affected my playing. I wasn't exactly brilliant with playing then, but I forgot a lot of the stuff I used to be able to play, I lost a lot of progress with a fair few techniques, etc.

Since then, it feels like it's been even harder to pick it back up knowing that I lost so much, despite doing music in college (UK). I know there's a huge wealth of information here and all across the internet, which is awesome. The problem is, I simply don't know where to start, and I kinda get really overwhelmed. I don't really know exactly where I am with my playing anymore. When I do try to pick something up, I get easily frustrated as I'm a major perfectionist. I struggle to stick to regular practicing because I get frustrated and end up doing other things. If I do manage to stick with it, I hit a complete brick wall when I reach the improvising part, because I feel my creativity took a serious hit too and I just have no idea what to do. Then I never end up getting better, so I could play like, one thing for a particular technique, feel like I can't get better, and that's where I stop.

And I know the whole idea is to just have fun with it, learn from mistakes, etc., but I end up getting frustrated. It's ended up becoming really heartbreaking for me because I used to adore playing the guitar, and I really want to get back into it because music's always been my passion. There's been times where due to this, I've thought about throwing in the towel completely, but I remember just how much fun I used to have with my playing and I really want to get back to that. That, and I often see other guitarists and think to myself "I should be like that, I should be making progress" but I convince myself I just can't do it, and it's killing me. I've probably got a really bad mindset about all of this and need some advice with getting out of it and enjoying playing again.

There's probably some stuff I've missed out, but this is just the main things I can think of right now. Thank you for reading, and for any advice you're able to offer. I really appreciate it.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The first question is what do you enjoy about playing guitar? If it's playing songs go and play songs you like, if it's improv find yourself some backingtracks and improv etc.

As to where to start with the wealth of all the information here is really just the beginning, go over it and see whether you still know it and understand it and go from there.

Reactions: Matt Wildcat

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hey Millie.

You may be feeling frustrated because you have reached a plateau and don't know where to go from there. It happens to all of us I think.

What I would suggest is try to pick up a topic (i.e. theory, or pentatonic scales, or sweep picking or whatever) that may be of interest to you and study that for a bit. You may not guess the correct one at first, but you need to keep at it.

What I mean by this is that for the longest time I thought I wanted to become the best sweep picker out there only to find out that each and every time I started doing sweep picking exercises I gradually faded out. Same with learning songs. It was fun at first, but I just couldn't care for it anymore. Hence why when I started creating songs in a more serious manner, be it covers or originals, it was a breath of fresh air.

You just have to try your luck on some topics. Don't be afraid if the first ones don't stick. You just need to figure out what drives you to play guitar.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    The first question is what do you enjoy about playing guitar? If it's playing songs go and play songs you like, if it's improv find yourself some backingtracks and improv etc.

As to where to start with the wealth of all the information here is really just the beginning, go over it and see whether you still know it and understand it and go from there.

Originally, it started off with me wanting to be able to play songs, so I started trying to learn a few and they went okay. Before I dropped off, there was a small number of somewhat easy ones I could play pretty well, but I don't think I've touched them since as I can't really remember or I got sick of them. Then, I decided that I wanted to develop and be able to write my own stuff, so I tried going over scales but even with the tracks, I just couldn't put anything together that I thought was any good. I probably judged myself a lot harsher than I should've, to be honest. Then I think when I came back to here, I got the CAGED and hit the wall again because I understood it, but I just lacked the creativity to do anything with it.

Hey Millie.

You may be feeling frustrated because you have reached a plateau and don't know where to go from there. It happens to all of us I think.

What I would suggest is try to pick up a topic (i.e. theory, or pentatonic scales, or sweep picking or whatever) that may be of interest to you and study that for a bit. You may not guess the correct one at first, but you need to keep at it.

What I mean by this is that for the longest time I thought I wanted to become the best sweep picker out there only to find out that each and every time I started doing sweep picking exercises I gradually faded out. Same with learning songs. It was fun at first, but I just couldn't care for it anymore. Hence why when I started creating songs in a more serious manner, be it covers or originals, it was a breath of fresh air.

You just have to try your luck on some topics. Don't be afraid if the first ones don't stick. You just need to figure out what drives you to play guitar.

Honestly, I think you might've hit the nail on the head, there. I think the same pretty much happened when I had all these exercises for things like speed picking and all these little solo things my guitar teacher gave me, I'd do them for a little while, but eventually I got burnt out and didn't know what else to do. Same thing with songs, I could only play a small number as I thought a huge number were well out of my skill range, and then I either got sick of them or I just dropped and never got back to them.

I'm gonna try see if going back to maybe some pentatonic stuff might help, that was probably one of the first things I really enjoyed when I wanted to be able to do my own thing.

Thank you guys!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey Millie!
    My quick thoughts on this:
    Where to start? At Point Zero. Start with the First lesson again. Watching them or rewatching them can still make you learn something and blasting through the First Lessons might give you a confidence boost.
    Find Something that's fun to ALSO do when playing. Like First watching the lessons, then playing or learning a new Song you Like.
    Listen to music! I find myself more and more listening to my music and thinking "damn, I wanna Play that now!" Even If it's Just one riff. Learn it If that's what you're in the mood for.
    Pick something, regardless of the fact that it might be too difficult. And STICK WITH IT. Make a plan to practice it for at least 10 Minutes a day. I learned the solo to Hail to the King by Avenged Sevenfold within a month Like that :)
    Record yourself. First benefit is that you wanna try Harder If you record it, second is that you can Look Back at it and See your improvement. (I'd also recommend to Share it Here, this Community is super nice and can give you valuable Tips in your playing)

Hope that helps a little :)

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hey Millie!
    My quick thoughts on this:
    Where to start? At Point Zero. Start with the First lesson again. Watching them of rewatching them can still make you learn something and blasting through the First Lessons might give you a confidence boost.
    Find Something that's fun to ALSO do when playing. Like First watching the lessons, then playing or learning a new Song you Like.
    Listen to music! I find myself more and more listening to my music and thinking "damn, I wanna Play that now!" Even If it's Just one riff. Learn it If that's what you're in the mood for.
    Pick something, regardless of the fact that it might be too difficult. And STICK WITH IT. Make a plan to practice it for at least 10 Minutes a day. I learned the solo to Hail to the King by Avenged Sevenfold within a month Like that :)
    Record yourself. First benefit is that you wanna try Harder If you record it, second is that you can Look Back at it and See your improvement. (I'd also recommend to Share it Here, this Community is super nice and can give you valuable Tips in your playing)

Hope that helps a little :)
    Hey, these are some good ideas! I'll give the lessons another try and see how it goes! With the stick with it part, is there a good way to stay motivated? I tend to have this thing where I get a good idea and some drive to do it for a few days or so, but it can quickly falter and then all falls apart.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Jesse Salmons
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Hey, these are some good ideas! I'll give the lessons another try and see how it goes! With the stick with it part, is there a good way to stay motivated? I tend to have this thing where I get a good idea and some drive to do it for a few days or so, but it can quickly falter and then all falls apart.
    Thank you!
    I can help with the motivated part. Record yourself. Post in the Riffs section. The tips, and encouragement from everyone here will motivate you I promise. Ask questions. Be curious, interested. Honestly, no one can do it for you, but we can do all we can to make sure you’re sticking with it!

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I can help with the motivated part. Record yourself. Post in the Riffs section. The tips, and encouragement from everyone here will motivate you I promise. Ask questions. Be curious, interested. Honestly, no one can do it for you, but we can do all we can to make sure you’re sticking with it!
    Okay, I'll make sure to try and get something uploaded soon! Thank you!

• Love
    Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You didnt forget how to play. Your muscles just need to be worked back up. Play simple power chord riffs for a bit to get back the timing of things. Then go back to the lead stuff.. you'll notice right away you'll be more comfortable.

Worst thing you can say to yourself is I forgot how to play. With that mind set..you WILL struggle everytime ro tske time away. If you look at it like.. just needing to get back into the rhythm..the attitude adjustment alone will make it happen twice as fast for you. I've played on and off for years. And I'll tell you right now I never really change my routine when I come back. Just a little slower and more basic. Once I'm ready for confident. Back at it.

I know it's difficult but having that positive mindset makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE and not just for guitar. That's for everything In life.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    You didnt forget how to play. Your muscles just need to be worked back up. Play simple power chord riffs for a bit to get back the timing of things. Then go back to the lead stuff.. you'll notice right away you'll be more comfortable.

Worst thing you can say to yourself is I forgot how to play. With that mind set..you WILL struggle everytime ro tske time away. If you look at it like.. just needing to get back into the rhythm..the attitude adjustment alone will make it happen twice as fast for you. I've played on and off for years. And I'll tell you right now I never really change my routine when I come back. Just a little slower and more basic. Once I'm ready for confident. Back at it.

I know it's difficult but having that positive mindset makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE and not just for guitar. That's for everything In life.
    Thank you for this! I feel like I've always struggled with my mindset since I dropped, so I'll make sure to keep this in mind and remind myself if I think I'm losing it again.