• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

HOMEWORK: Lesson 14

In this week’s lesson, Syn’s tips talk about developing the musical ear. This is an invaluable skill for any musician, so that’s what we’ll focus on.
ASSIGNMENT: Watch lesson 14 and read Syn’s tips. Transcribe part of a song of your choice that uses the chords that Papa Gates teaches on the lesson. No need to transcribe the whole song, as not many have a lot of time available. I would rather hear an accurate transcription of a song’s intro, than a sloppy whole song.
BEGINNERS: Focus on chords and accurate rhythm. Don’t forget your Tik Tok motion!
Song suggestions; Highway to Hell by AC/DC, Long way to the top by AC/DC, Free Falling by Tom Petty.
INTERMEDIATE: Pick something that has a few embellishments [this will be useful on future assignments ;)]. Keep good timing and accurate rhythm.
ADVANCED: You may pick something that uses arpeggios, embellishments or a slightly more complex rhythm pattern. Keep good timing and accurate rhythm.
REMEMBER: The most important part of this assignment is to train your ear, whether you are brand new to this or already have experience we can all benefit from ear training. Therefore, don’t pick a song you already know, as it would defeat the purpose.
In other announcements, we have decided to pause the livestream and simply focus inwardly on progressing here on the school. There was not enough engagement to keep it going, however the possibility of it making a comeback is still open for the future. I want to thank Rowan and Hector for their efforts, we really appreciate it!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Ooh I don’t not what song I’ll do but I like this. There are like a lot of songs I’ve already seen this off before so I’ll have to figure out which one I’ll do because if I’ve already seen tabs I kind of consider it cheating.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just picked the song I want to transcribe. It’s the new John Mayer song called I guess it just feels like. I’m not entirely sure when I’ll have time to transcribe it but I’m gonna do it when I have the time to do so.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
This one requires sometime. Maybe give people an extra week to feel cofident of their work? I know its gonna take me some time.
A big help will be to figure out the scale used in the song. Once you have that the rest should come easy.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Good luck Rowan!
I was wondering whether we also include singing in this homework(only if you want to of course). I’ve been wanting to work on that for a while and this homework seems perfect for that since singing in key is like one of the best eartraining imho😅

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    I love you guys. Thank you always for your support. I think I’ve decided on a song and I’m working hard on the intro. It’s kind of tough because I’m relying solely on my ears for the first time ever, but I think I’ll get it! Good luck to each of you, as well! I’m excited!
    Also, I just posted a jam session in my riffs section. It’s unrelated to the homework so I’m not posting it here, but if each of you would check it out, it would mean so much to me. I pretty much tried to use what I’d learned from the lessons so far and just jam out.

I have been completely swamped with work, but I agree with Calvin, don’t want you guys to wait for me. I really want to do this assignment cause it is a lot of fun, so if everyone is good to move on I will post the next one and I’ll catch up on this one on my own time.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Here’s mine. I’m not super comfortable singing yet, that may also be the reason my voice is a little soft and off key towards the end, so feedback is really appreciated. The original song is with drums and another guitar and I only took the rhythm guitar and played that part.