• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Honest School Feedback Needed

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey everyone. This is something I REALLY need everyone’s input on.
As you all know, I try my best to issue projects, tasks, etc to help the students. But as I’ve tried to do these things, it doesn’t seem to really stick with anyone. There was awesome participation on the homework assignments, but I got word from several of the other hosting students that it has started to taper off. So I would like everyone reading this to vote. Can you let me know which of the following (you can name more than one thing) has benefited you the most or you would like to see continue? I’m not getting a clear feedback on my YouTube channel or Instagram. I get so excited to do things but if it doesn’t seem to be being utilized I won’t do them and will instead focus my time on something more people find useful. So here are the tasks I have done/will do that I’d like feedback on 🙂
1. Lesson homework assignments/live streams
2. Milking The Lessons
3. A7X Tutorial Series with Lesson Credits
4. Guitar Advice (Practice tips, routine tips, encouragement, etc)
5. Learn To Apply (I demonstrate popular songs that can be played utilizing certain lessons or chunks of lessons)
6. Weekly challenge
Thank you all so much! Have a fantastic week!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For me it’s probably the homework and weekly challenges but that may have something to do with the fact that I kind of wing most of the songs I learn and I’m not particularly interested in playing them exactly like someone else and I’m already fairly comfortable with applying thing I learn.
It seems a lot of people like the song lessons(they are asking you for more so it must be good right?) so that’s great!

J

Jak Angelescu

That’s what I thought too, Ids (about the song lessons) but no one is really seeming to care. I had over 300 people vote on it but both videos are barely topping over 100 views with roughly 15 thumbs up and no comments except for Sayonil.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I vote for all 6 Jak. I personally think all those are very beneficial and I’ll try to start participating in assignments and stuff that you do more after I do this talent show on Friday. So yea all or nothing for me. And good job with doing all this by the way! You keep this school alive

Jaylen Owens

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I like all 6 Too even tho I don’t participate in the homework assignment I still enjoy trying them on my own time also think people just aren’t caring but I I love the work you put in. Could you link your channel Jak So I can sub?

This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Jaylen Owens.

J

Jak Angelescu

I don’t have time to do all 6. I wish I could do all 6 but I just don’t have the time to do it. So that’s why I was hoping I could get some things narrowed down. It quite literally would turn into a full time job. That’s why I kept issuing different things is because people didn’t really seem to stick with anything and I kept trying to find new things to keep people’s interests. But even as it is I’m investing almost 15 to 20 hours a week with just doing the tutorials alone. And because it’s not really getting a lot of feedback or attention I’m considering dropping it. So I really need someone to tell me what it is they would like to see continue. Of course without stretching myself too thin
@Jaylen my YouTube name is guitar ninja cat 🙂 you can also click on any of my riff videos and subscribe that way 🙂
I’m so glad people are finding things so helpful and I wish I could do all of them but there’s no way I have the time for it. The livestreams every week took about 3 hours out of my day. Filming tutorials takes anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours with all the editing and uploading. And then with the milking the lesson series it took roughly the same amount of time. So right there that’s anywhere from 10 to 15 hours a week 😟

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
1. Homework assignments are great. This focuses students on the lessons. And a week a lesson is great Introductions to the lessons. We also have to start going back when we get higher. I feel.once we hit the caged system our homework is gonna start merging with strum patterns.. ala play arpeggios using the caged system in new positions over the same strum patterns we already learned. Well always be going back.
Once we hit intermediate lessons.. I think we should start the beginners again while also extending the next level. By then we should have new students looking to start over. Ans by next year we can have advanced starting while restarting intermediate and beginners. Ideally start the cycles over and over. Gives people room to go back and see how far theyve come.
I also feel this trumps the weekly challenge. They essentially are the same and the lessons to me are more important then a weekly challenge 9r a random video. We need someone to sort of guide us. That’s why i feel they died down when you went away for a bit. But the first video you return on I bet they all.come out.
2. Milking the lessons is great for the beginning of the homework. Maybe milk that lesson in the assignment post? I feel itll be utilized best this way. And you’ll grt new outside people every week seeing it on the live stream.
3. Not 100% sure this is but this one I think is separate from the rest and we probably can keep it going easy. All those tips I read in syns pinned solo post were great. I relate this to those.
4. Again id relate this with 3. Maybe start a weekly trip on soloing or practicing.. just a weekly tip.. and make it short like syn asked a minute or so. Just say what’s on your mind for the week?
5.this is great but I feel you’ll get too many requests you wont be able to keep up lol.
6. Refer to answer 1.
In the end.. I feel you can take all 6 points and make them into 2. Maybe 1 weekly the other monthly? You do so much for this site I’d hate to see you over whelmed again so maybe take the 5thpoint and start it monthly and see where it goes. The homework is a p
Keeper and we need to ensure we stay on top.the month weve done it my songwriting grew even more then it was when I skipped lessons.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
best part, is jak doesn’t have to be the ONLY one with a milking lesson. If you have any tips for that week, it literally is a minute video. Keep them short like syns solo tip videos. I went through all those today, some ive never seen before. And there was some helpful tips, and a wise variety of styles and tricks in there. From cheating on scales to simple bends or penatonic scales. To just how to change up the melody. I’m sure we all can figure out things to post. So in other words, even though its Jaks’ assignments, we all can help each other out. If she doesn’t have the time to post (like ailee did this week) we can easily jump in with the lesson. The assignment itself isn’t difficult, and is usually the same every week, its the little things we add on top that changes. So as long as we all remember to do the lesson each week and apply to a strum pattern, we’re making progress without Jak. Get what I’m saying? Eventually you’ll get into the habit and wont need the home work. I find myself looking ahead already, The one I focused on last night was the circle of 5ths. And the minor version of the caged system. Edcag. And how to find your minor chords. Both really good concepts that I overlooked the first time through. Theres so much in there, taking a full week on each lesson is huge, even 2 weeks its not enough really.
The rest I feel we could easily go without, but you cant always just be doing homework around here right?

Love it! Calvin brings some great points. I agree especially with us helping you, it is a lot of work for a single person and it can be overwhelming. I think the best idea is to make things work together, again as Calvin suggested. Making things cohesive, even the assignments can lead to one another instead of being isolated. That way by the end of a few weeks the people that did their homework can end up with a song structured. (Example, Week 1: chords and strumming pattern, Week 2: Add embellishments to your rhythm part, Week 3: Write a solo or melody on top etc.)
In my opinion the homework is a keeper and “milking the lessons” can go hand in hand with this.
“Guitar advice” and “learn to apply” can also go hand in hand, we can create a separate forum topic for this or do a weekly one just like the homework, and people should all contribute, as Calvin said, with a quick tip or a short video.
We could end up with 2 forum topics a week: “Homework Lesson x” and “Guitar Tips & Learn to apply lesson x” (Maybe take turns coming up with assignments so its not all on your shoulders)
The livestream is fun but its very time consuming, so I leave it completely up to you if you want to continue.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Ailee especially is thinking the same as me. if hosting 2 is rough we can always get another host. I know when jaknisnt hosting it’s a tad harder but hosting our own tips and whatnot shouldn’t be too difficult. Maybe something to work towards.

Lol! I’m all for that! Let’s make a fire pit in the forrest and love forward one another! xD
Ok all kidding aside, yes. I agree 100% Jak shouldn’t be doing it all alone, we should do this together and help each other as a group.