• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to learn a metal-solo. Advanced Level.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Tough to answer without more detail about where you are. Your profile says youā€™ve been playing 4 years, so Iā€™ll assume you have a decent set of ā€œrhythm handsā€ and want to move into lead work.
    Start with an easier solo. Ballads are usually a good start. Syn makes some reallyā€¦ UNIQUEā€¦ note choices in his lead playing. I never really noticed it until I started learning some of his parts. Heā€™s really unorthodox (in a good way), so you may want to consider outside of A7X or DT to start with.
    Either way, break the solo into the easy parts and the hard parts. For harder parts, start by just playing the notes, at whatever tempo it takes to get it (or ā€œno tempo at allā€). This is just to ā€œget it under your fingers.ā€ Get the harder/faster parts to where you play them exactly the same every time.
    Once youā€™re there, start working with a metronome at REALLY slow speeds. when youā€™re comfortable at that speed, tick the metronome up a notch. Do this with all the parts, until you can string them together at one tempo. The slower parts may seem boring at this tempo, but stick with it.
    If your overall skill and dexterity are being built at the same time, a difficult solo can take weeks or even MONTHS to get. Patience, and knowing that when you get it there, the effort will make your next challenge easier.
    Good luck!

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I second what Ed said! There is also an app/computer program called ā€œamazing slow downerā€ haha what an amazing name! But you can slow down whatever song youā€™re trying to learn without changing the pitch!

Robert Freeborn

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    When I first started doing metal solos, I started with Metallica. Some of their stuff is pretty simple but good for building up chops. Fade to Black, Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, and Creeping Death are all pretty good.
    For A7X stuff, I agree with other people. Really gotta practice it slowly a lot to get it into muscle memory. One way Iā€™ve done it is just sit down with a metronome, play it starting at 60 bpm, and when you donā€™t make mistakes, increase it by 5 bpm. Do that until youā€™re up to full speed. It takes time but itā€™ll get you there!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Julian Barton

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    An amazing Avenged solo to start with would be Warmness on the soul. That is one of the first solo I learned. If you are having trouble because of speed in these solos though donā€™t forget to just slow down. It is important to remember (since I seem to forget all the time) you can probably play that solo if you slow it down and grab a cup of coffee. I suggest making a pot of coffee and practicing it in chunks slowly until you have play a chunk slowly all the way through. Once you can play all of the chunks go ahead and move to putting them together slowly. Then you can speed it up over time, this will also help you learn some new techniques and get better. You might also feel better after playing something like beast in the harlot or afterlife.

Julian Penz

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey Guys, I just want to say thanks a lot for your help. Iā€™ll try your suggestions the next weeksšŸ‘ My Level of playing is at the point before those fast solos like Beast and the Harlot. Solos like that first one from Seize the day is no problem.

ZĆ© Marques

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well, this website is, in a way, the answer to your question. E.g. the sweep picking IV Etude helped me do the arpeggios present in the chorus of Welcome to the Family and Lost.
    Hell, if you can play seize the day, maybe you can play the nightmare solo. The fast runs are short, which makes them more manageable.