• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

how to put it together?

Matt Fairless

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I understand all these different concepts and techniques and I feel like I dont know what to do with them all, ive been playing long enough that most of these lessons make sense and I already know them somewhat but I dont know how to put them all together to get the ideas inside my head out. puts me in a writers block type situation of what do I play?

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I struggled with applying all of the concepts here too. When I learn one of syns etudes, or even one of papa gates riffs in his videos I like to experiment with playing those same patterns/scales in different keys and locations on the fret board while throwing in some of my own stuff that I’ve learned in the past, and playing what comes to my fingers when I want to make my own riffs. It’s all just about playing around and linking these techniques you have learned using your own playing style. Keep doing more lessons and your ideas will come out soon. Hope this helps!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I kinda just let my fingers/mind decide which technique I’m using and just run with it. I’ve never been very conscious about techniques i used in a solo so putting it all together is kind of however you want to use it. You dont really need all of them everytime. I would say just try to get whatever you have in you head to your guitar and when you get that start worrying about technique

Sven Barnitzki

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Germany
The most efficient way, i think, is playing on backing tracks and just let your fingers do what they wanna do. Use some techniques, like sweeping arpeggios, over the right key and check out what sounds godd and what does not. Create your own wheater 😉
Also, the circle fo fifths really helps out of using major and minor keys the right way.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What I often do is play one of my favorite songs that maybe isn’t as heavy on lead guitar parts, such as songs from Linkin Park or even blink-182, and I’ll play along with the song and write my own solos/riffs with the song as it goes along, incorporating different techniques I’ve learned that I think would best fit the song. Playing over backing tracks as previously suggested also helps. Don’t worry if what you write sounds like crap to you at first, artists almost never publish their very first iteration of anything. Many pieces of music go through tens of different iterations and versions before finally coming to what you hear on a track. So get out there, write some things based on what you’ve learned, and most importantly: have fun with it!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I cant really give an answer.. i watched a lot of dvds on the making of albums (self entitled) learned a lot just listening to them talk about how each song comes.
    Juat remember that songs progress. So ideally you start out small and grow. Taking a simple melody or riff and exploding it.. roman sky is a perfrct example.

Synner Endless Summer Collection