• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to stop the string slipping from your finger when string bending

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
How? What part of the finger should I be string bending with? How hard do I need to be pressing to stop it slipping? I press harder and the string cuts into my finger (using medium gauge strings). really annoying. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If it’s cutting into your finger, you’re doing it right. You could switch to lighter strings – medium gauge strings are considered pretty heavy on an electric. I use 9-46, but going higher than 10s on an electric is rare, often because of bending. Also, eventually, your fingertips will develop callouses, and those are going to be REALLY beneficial to your playing in the long run.

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ed has killer advice as always! But Practice! It takes time to build em! Lol this is stretching it a bit..but there’s a few bass players that will put a bit of super glue on their fingertips. Haha you could try just a little to keep from getting cut…just don’t play til it’s dry hahaha. Another thing, I don’t know how low your action is set..but a lower action makes it harder to get under the strings. For me, right around 4/64 (around 2mm) measured at the 12th is a nice balance between low and not too low. I happen to know Syn’s tech Kevin sets up Syn’s guitar with a similar action.