• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is my Floyd Rose worth it?

Nathan Conte

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
In August I bought a Schecter Banshee FR-6 Extreme. It was almost perfect, except for the FR bridge. It’s not that I didn’t like the idea of having an FR guitar, the only issue is that as the only electric in my arsenal, I wanted something less fussy. However, I put that aside and bought the guitar, because I really loved how it felt and sounded. One day in, I stripped a bolt for the locking nut but was able to fix it within a few days. Then I bought the guitar to Eric’s Guitar Shop in LA to add the EVH D-Tuna and block the bridge from pitch raising. In order for the D-Tuna to clear the body, the bridge is at a slight angle and since then, It has had issues keeping the stings in the saddles. In fact, I idiotically stripped one of the saddles trying to make sure my G-string wouldn’t slip out. Needless to say, I was frustrated. The way I see it is that without much money or time, I need a guitar that works when picking it up with minimal tweaking. Regardless, I have been thinking about fixing the guitar then selling it for a Modern Player Telecaster, but I was also toying with the idea of taking out the block and D-Tuna and just having the guitar be stock. The only issue with this is that I switch from standard to drop-D often and rarely make use of the Whammy bar at all so it feels pointless to have to deal with the maintenance that goes along with an FR. Another option would just to be to completely block the bridge, but I’m unsure whether I can play using the nut without the locks in place. Does anyone have any advice for me?