• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Mastering guitar

Josh Wright

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I have been playing guitar for about 5 years. I’m not absolutely amazing but I consider myself to be pretty good. I was thinking about what the difference between an expert and a master is. I wouldn’t consider myself either of them, but I strive to be a master. It dawned on me there really isn’t much of a difference, they both have roughly the same skills. However a master approaches everything with the mindset of a beginner. I encourage everyone to take things slow at the beginning of learning something. I have the tendency to try and play everything as fast as possible from the start and it leads to sloppy playing. You can really work on technique when you actually slow down and take the time to really learn.

G

I think the definition of ‘Master’ can vary between an individual. As an example, I consider Guthrie Govan a master of his craft because he can play alot of genres convincingly well. You send him to play a country gig and people would think he dedicates his time and practice to study country. The problem is that some musicians tend to approach everything and to tell the truth, dont really master their craft. Alot of musicians are considered masters in one genre. Paco De Lucia for example was a master of Flamenco and classical, but possibly couldnt play funk or heavy metal. I believe the saying ‘Jack of all trades, master of none’ is fitting.
In terms of Academia, you have musicians who have studied masters degrees who earn the title of master if they so wish. This is then followed by the qualification and title of PhD and Doctor. So in this, the term Doctor is more complimenting.
But also, consider that expert and master probably means the same thing. If you master a craft or genre that is your expertise.
If you’re asking how to progress to such a level, as well as practicing efficiently, read a lot of books and music. Study your theory and work hard. You don’t have to necessarily know every thing to become a master, but to be confident and masterful in one genre is sometimes the way forward (depends on your goals I suppose). We all can’t be Guthrie unfortunately, but that shouldn’t matter, Just enjoy what you do.
An expert/master should be able to teach their craft also.
As someone who has recently completed a master of music, I can honestly say i still have so much to learn and would never class myself a ‘master’ because there is always so much to learn.
I hope this helps and keep practicing

Josh Wright

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Ok I see where you are coming from, but what I am saying is that an expert and a master are the same thing, but it’s about the approach to how you go about it gaining the skills. I’m not talking academically, I’m reffering to “experience”. The expert has as much experience as a master. A master is not someone who has mastered a subject, they mastered the process of learning about the subject. When learning a new genre on guitar it takes time, I could easily just look up scales and find out what the artists do and become a “expert” in that genre. However if I instead of just gaining the skills, I question as to why they do what they do, I apply knowledge and skill. It takes discipline to actually develop the specific techniques of a style of playing, instead of just playing off of a tab and playing it my own way. I’m saying this because in my opinion it’s easy to get stuck in a rut of playing, where you don’t really grow as a player. That’s why I say approach everything as a beginner and combine it with your experience.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
You’re exactly right my friend. And that’s what separates the men from the boys. Sevenfold is a good example of artists who have mastered their craft. They don’t just find out what is successful and replicate it. They deeply analyze the music that inspires them and then they take the skills/techniques and apply them to their own songwriting to learn what makes it work. Certain bands find “their sound” and stick to a formula and that works for them (Godsmack is a good example). The formula that works for A7X is to constantly challenge themselves to learn and expand so that they can produce something that nobody has ever heard before.

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
There is no such thing as a master (however with Syn that is debatable xD). But seriously, there is no such thing as a master guitarist. There is no such thing as a guitarist who has perfected all aspects or their playing. Perfection is just a construct in our minds, and it is whatever we decide it to be. It’s not about striving for perfection, it’s about trying to be the best guitarist you can be.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The more of an expert one becomes, the more he (or she) realizes that “mastery” is a lifelong goal but a fleeting dream.
    Govan is probably closest to it, but his humility refuses to allow him to call himself a master – he claims he still has much to learn, and he’s right. He may have less to learn than anybody else we know about, but he knows he still has stuff to learn.
    I disagree that they have the same skill level. One can be an expert guitarist without having full mastery of all aspects of it.