• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

New Guitar

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
Dec 4, 2019
Hey everyone, this past Christmas I purchased a Synyster Gates Custom S (white pin stripes) Guitar. Does anyone know what kind of maintenance I should stay aware of involving this particular guitar, such as what kind of fret cleaner/polish I should have. Any helps or tips are appreciated.

Reactions: David Deatherage

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hey I just been using music nomad as a cleaner they sell a 5 piece kit I bought on amazon for $30. The fretboard oil works great and the all in one cleaner I use to wipe my strings down has been awesome. Haven’t used the polish on the actual guitar but I’ve used it to clean oxidation on a Gibson sg I have for the pickups with some success. The kit comes with two microfiber wipes as well.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    There's nothing special to maintain about the Synyster Custom, as opposed to any other Floyd Rose-equipped guitar. If it has a sustainiac, then making sure the battery is fresh, but that would also apply to any guitar with active pickups, as well. Music Nomad makes great products, as David says.

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    Hey I just been using music nomad as a cleaner they sell a 5 piece kit I bought on amazon for $30. The fretboard oil works great and the all in one cleaner I use to wipe my strings down has been awesome. Haven’t used the polish on the actual guitar but I’ve used it to clean oxidation on a Gibson sg I have for the pickups with some success. The kit comes with two microfiber wipes as well.
    I really recommend the Nomad F-One fretboard oil. I tried it with ebony and rosewood and Its the best.
    I also use Ghs fast fret, a quick wipe when starting to play for lubricating and another at the end of the session for cleaning.
    For the body I would recommend a microfiber cloth

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
    Dec 4, 2019
    I really recommend the Nomad F-One fretboard oil. I tried it with ebony and rosewood and Its the best.
    I also use Ghs fast fret, a quick wipe when starting to play for lubricating and another at the end of the session for cleaning.
    For the body I would recommend a microfiber cloth
    I will be looking into all of those. Thank you very much, this helps. How often do you clean it?

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
    Dec 4, 2019
    There's nothing special to maintain about the Synyster Custom, as opposed to any other Floyd Rose-equipped guitar. If it has a sustainiac, then making sure the battery is fresh, but that would also apply to any guitar with active pickups, as well. Music Nomad makes great products, as David says.
    It does have the sustanic system, thank you I will keep spare batteries around

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
    Dec 4, 2019
    I will certainly look at that. Thank you very very much!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I will be looking into all of those. Thank you very much, this helps. How often do you clean it?

Fretboard oil every or every other string change. I usually put one tiny drop on each exposed piece of fretboard (between frets) then rub it in with a soft cloth wrapped around my pointer/index finger, starting with the highest fret. That way, but they time you get to the biggest spaces at the first few frets, you have a little extra oil stored in the cloth.

As for polishing the body, that depends on how clean you like it. It's like a car finish, in a lot of ways. How often you wax the car depends on how good you want to look rolling by.

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    I use the F-one Oil like 1-2 times per year, after a proper string change (usually 6 months). Ebony is being oiled by the fingers constantly. Just remember to keep the guitar in a nice enviroment.

Reactions: OldBreakDown
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
    Dec 4, 2019
    I think I’m gonna get the 3 piece kit today. It has cleaner, wax, and a cloth!

OldBreakDown

Free Bird Player
    Dec 4, 2019
    Yup! That's what I bought!! I use the all in one cleaner that comes in the kit to wipe down the strings after playing. You'll be amazed at the lifespan you can get out of strings!! Also just used the polish on my acoustic since it has a gloss finish and it looks great!
    Okay, that’s awesome to hear! I’m glad I’m making a good choice.