• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Pentatonic Picking Exercise – (Hammer-ons & Pull-offs) – Lesson 22

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Always doin this downstrokes is a great gypsy jazz habbit! I do it too!
    Really ?! Awesome sauce ? So....should I stick with the downstrokes since I can do them better or try and get my hand to do upstrokes? Lol. It doesn’t want to co-operate.
    It’s so weird.
    I can alternate pick fine (not fast but accurately)
    But for whatever reason doing an upstroke for a pull off seems really weird and I have to put ALOT of effort into it.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Really ?! Awesome sauce ? So....should I stick with the downstrokes since I can do them better or try and get my hand to do upstrokes? Lol. It doesn’t want to co-operate.
    It’s so weird.
    But for whatever reason doing an upstroke for a pull off seems really weird and I have to put ALOT of effort into it.
    To me that's fine! I'm more a whatever floats your boat with this kinda stuff though

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Always doin this downstrokes is a great gypsy jazz habbit! I do it too!
    It’s so weird.
    But for whatever reason doing an upstroke for a pull off seems really weird and I have to put w
    To me that's fine! I'm more a whatever floats your boat with this kinda stuff though
    I'm the same way. If it isn't anything that will be detrimental to my playing later on down the road when then I don't think ill worry about it too much. However, if I am ever doing something that will cause me issues later on, I would rather correct them early.

like for instance, I never had a second thought about the fact that I anchor my pinky a lot when I play, but it was pointed out that this might hurt me later on, so I have tried to stop doing that.

so if this doesn't hurt, im definitely going to use downstrokes lol.

thanks so much Ids !

side note, it amazes me how you seem to be everywhere all the time ! lol
    I honestly didn't expect anyone to reply to my comment since this is a lesson I'm sure most everyone is past lol

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hey, I'm having some trouble doing pulloffs. I can get them to sound right, but I sometimes hit the lower string when pulling down. Does anyone have some advice how to avoid that?
    Try to make sure you got the string straight and not at an angle.

Another thing is try to slightly hover the fleshy bit of your lower fretting finger over the string below.