• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Playing guitar and singing

Zé Marques

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Start with the most simplest of songs. Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back In Anger are a good start. Consider your voice like a lead guitar. This means that tempo matters. You need to find when the voice enters (if it is at the beginning of a chord or in the middle). Hope this helps

Billie M

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I agree with Zé, I want to add try something you know you can sing. When I wanted to start singing I wanted to start with Muse songs which are not easy to sing at all ( Soldier’s Poem and Unintended are easier though) but then I found Arctic Monkeys and my vocal range is pretty similar to Alex Tuner (the signer) therefore I started singing their songs with the easiest chords.
Try to learn the lyrics first, then once you’re comfortable with the chords try both at once. Your voice has to ring with your guitar ( that’s what I’ve been told when I started, that only means sing the notes you’re playing, you’ll feel it when you’ll sing the words).

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
There is a reason why most guys who sing are the rhythm players and not the soloists. (There are exceptions – including me). I have made my living singing and playing. Over the past few years, I have made more of a living as a singer than a player.
The FIRST and most important thing people will notice about a song is the vocal – so make sure the vocal is great. This means you might have to simplify the guitar part. Start with a song you know well and keep the guitar as simple as possible. After you can nail it, you can concentrate on making the guitar part more complicated. BUT NEVER SACRIFICE THE VOCAL FOR A BETTER GUITAR PART. It should always be the other way around.