• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Purchasing reaper

J

Jak Angelescu

Hi there everyone! I'm going to be buying reaper soon and I'm confused by what it's asking. Do I purchase the $60 1 and not the commercial one? Also I know I have asked this about a dozen times but could anybody give me a basic gear a list for really starting a small at home recording studio?I lost my list from last year that everyone helped me with

Reactions: Ed Seith

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    With Captain Ed already helping out on Reaper I think I can help out some with the gear related question. I've been watching a ton of content on how to setup a beginner home studio and what gear is good to start with. First is to get an Audio Interface. The interface is where you plug in your mic/instrument input as well as having your output jacks for a pair of studio speakers and with some a headphone jack for your headphones. Focusrite's Scarlett series is incredibly popular, low priced, and well made. The Solo model has 1 mic input and one instrument only input so you can plug in a microphone for say vocals or an instrument as well as the strictly instrument only for a guitar/bass cable. They have a couple tiers above as well that have 2 Mic/Instrument jacks, 4 of those, and I believe an 8 input as well. Each tier getting more expensive of course. From there a mic or two is good to have if you want to record your own amplifier if it doesn't have it's own DI Out jack. The Shure SM57B is a studio standard cab mic that is never not seen in any decent studio. They're great mics and relatively cheap too! For vocals the Shure SM58 is another industry standard vocal mic good for live or studio situations. Another choice for vocal microphones is a Samson C01 which seem to be well reviewed too. Depending on your living situation whether you live in an apartment with rice paper for walls or you are renting/own a house will help you choose between headphones vs studio monitors. If you go with headphones the Audio Technica ATH M40x's or the M50x's are great headphones. For monitors I have heard great things about Kali Audio's LP Series. They're pretty cheap, are eq'd flat, and seem to be pretty sturdy! So to make a list of stuff that's a tad easier to read

Home Studio Gear
    Focusrite Scarlett series audio interface
    Shure SM57B Cab Mic
    Shure SM58 vocal mic or the Samson C01
    Audio Technica Ath M40x's or M50x's Headphones
    Kali Audio LP Series Studio Monitors.
    And if your budget allows some good acoustic treatment!

These are of course just recommendations and I haven't personally used any of these before. I'm just recommending these after watching hours of videos over the last few months.

Last edited:

Hiroshi Nakauye

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    A good interface. I like the focusrite scarlett products. The 2i2 is nice for recording stereo unless you plan for doing live drums, then it gets more expensive.

A pair of monitors. Krk rockit monitors are great for the price.

Good quality cables. You dont have to go for the best but good cables will save you from lots of problems which will waste your time.

Head phone adaptors. You will lose a bunch.

Painters tape and some sharpies. Great for temporary labels for everything.

Microphones depend on your application but a good multi pattern condenser can cover a lot of ground. Plus your industry standard sm57 and sm58.

One tall and one short mic stand

A usb midi keyboard. Easier than using your mouse for certain midi functions.

Good sound treatment for your room. A bad room can really mess with a mix.

Reactions: Cedric L
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    First thing that you need is an interface but I believe that you already have one. Next thing would be good speakers like Yamaha HS5 which are one of the "industry standard" speakers but If I remember correctly you already bought some speakers which is great. The most important thing is that you know how your speakers sound like, that you are familiar with them because then you can make anything sound good on them. You don't need some super expensive speakers in order to get a great sound out of them. The entire "Thriller" album by Michel Jackson which is like the most succesful album of all time was mixed on Auratone 5C speakers and they are a small cone speakers.

Next thing would be microphones and mic stands. For recording your amp shure sm57 is a classic mic for that and with that you would need a small microphone stand. For vocals you could get shure sm58 but that mic is intended for live performances but you can still get a good sound with it when you are recording. With that you would need a big microphone stand. Also you need a pop filter so that you don't get those hard "p" "f" "s" sounds in your recordings. Isolation shiled is also a great thing to have if your room is not acoustically treated and a shock mount is a good thing to have as well.

Acoustic treatment is important but you need a big budget for that but there are some cheap alternatives for that. Here is a 3-part tutorial on how to make acoustic panels that you can hang on your walls. You don't need to have them but they are a great plus.

Reactions: AGA and Ed Seith

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Always, as far as I know. The "evaluation" version is unrestricted and can be used perpetually, but that still doesn't mean it's ACTUALLY free - the people who wrote it deserve compensation for it.

I have never used the program. I use audacity. But I always was told there was a free version of reaper too. That is the only reason why I asked.

Reactions: Edward John

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I have never used the program. I use audacity. But I always was told there was a free version of reaper too. That is the only reason why I asked.

It was never ACTUALLY free, but the "evaluation" is full-featured, not hobbled, and not time-bombed, so you COULD use it forever without paying for it. It's recommended that when one gets to where they CAN afford to pay for it, they SHOULD. That's just honesty.

Reactions: Lindsey and AGA

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have the studio 1 from my interface audio box but I don't use it. I just stick with audacity. Cause it's simple and it doesnt sound terrible. I'd need a walk through for protools i tried using the free version. It was very confusing to me.

The audio box definitely made a difference in my tone in some areas over the USB plug I used to use. That USB plug now is in the interface. The only issue is my camera still records the interface in stereo only through the left speaker. It's weird why it does that cause in audacity its straight mono.