• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

session guitarristY/Pro Stuff

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Depends on what you mean by professional. There are a ton of ways to make a living playing guitar. If you mean in a band, then I would say – play well with others. Compliment the band and understand what your job is. At every moment of every song there is a focal point. You have to KNOW what that is. 90% of the time it’s a singer singing. Your most important job is to make that singer sound as good as you possibly can. You also need to look good as you do it – without taking focus away from the singer. When it’s time for you to solo – then it’s the band’s job to make YOU sound and look as good as possible.
If you’re doing session work, you need to be as prepared as you possibly can be. Be in tune. Have a great attitude and be ready to read some music. More often than not it will involve nothing more than chord charts, but sometimes there is a specific line they want you to read. Be creative, in case you have to invent your part or they ask you for ideas – which happens A LOT.
I would just add that if you have talent, there are certain things you can fake. The one thing you cannot fake is experience. There is no substitution for experience. The ONLY way to get good at performing is to perform – in front of people. A couple hours on stage is better than a year standing in front of a mirror. Practice as often as you can and then get out and play!!!!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
PG is right about the band situation. It can be pretty hard to make then singer look good(especially when he/she sings out of tune) but in the end every single personen in the band has a role in That band. But in the end especially if you write your own music you have to like the stuff you play even when it is pretty simple

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Angela Grant

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Make sure you have your gear together before the gig. By together I mean you’ve checked that everything is in working order, you haven’t forgotten anything (even after over 20 years I have a checklist!), and help your band members. Somebody is always going to need a battery, patch cable, or a hand with loading gear.
Set everything up quickly, get it offstage quickly and be courteous to the bands on before and after you.