• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Shadzman talking about his 2020

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Shadz talked about his 2020 in an interview with Kerrang and it's pretty cool

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I didn't like it. I haven't been liking some of Matt's words lately and I'll leave it at that.
I hear ya. It ain't easy trying to be positive while trying not to trigger listeners' beliefs. Pretty sure any artist wouldn't feel exactly comfortable to lay out their thoughts on such a sensitive matter especially when they have a fanbase/followers. I guess all that matters is we are all trying to portray and deliver good intentions one way or another regardless of what the situation is in the God Damn world.

Here's to a much better year ahead :rock-hand:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
2 things I got out of this article.

1.. im baffled as to why the band told fans a month ago a bunch of reasons the album is late.. and their reasoning behind it. Then we come to find out they arent even close to done and have been casual the entire year over it.. why wouldn't you explain that the first time to the fans.. kinda confused there.

2.. I may get heat for this but I've said it the entire time. And this is directed to every band using the excuse.. every tour is gonna sell out post lock down. People don't care about new albums. They just wanna go see a show again. All this bs about people not wanting to see a show without a new album just isn't true. Well all be celebrating when its over on tour. Regardless of the music that is out at the time. The people who don't go will be the ones afraid of the virus still.

Just my own personal opinion on the matter.

Obviously in the end the record labels own all those choices so its possible its not even the bands choice.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    2 things I got out of this article.

1.. im baffled as to why the band told fans a month ago a bunch of reasons the album is late.. and their reasoning behind it. Then we come to find out they arent even close to done and have been casual the entire year over it.. why wouldn't you explain that the first time to the fans.. kinda confused there.

2.. I may get heat for this but I've said it the entire time. And this is directed to every band using the excuse.. every tour is gonna sell out post lock down. People don't care about new albums. They just wanna go see a show again. All this bs about people not wanting to see a show without a new album just isn't true. Well all be celebrating when its over on tour. Regardless of the music that is out at the time. The people who don't go will be the ones afraid of the virus still.

Just my own personal opinion on the matter.

Obviously in the end the record labels own all those choices so its possible its not even the bands choice.

The touring thing is a really strange one, but it makes sense when you think about it. I could be totally wrong about this but this is how I'm thinking of it with limited knowledge:

Like the Tour may sell out which will pay them & will pay whoever's takes a cut from the massive team they have, but which Media/Shows/Interviews will they do for more capital if they've already went and promoted the Stage?

I feel like If every band and their auntie will be comeback touring after lockdown to make up for losses, so the playing field will be saturated & competitive anyway, so without a release, it might make bands seem less relevant to book as a potential headline tour & expect everyone to go - when on that same night there might be a new Slipknot, Metallica album being toured etc.

There's also that problem you mentioned about people afraid of the virus, or even suffering from long covid who can't/won't make shows - these people won't have an Album to stream, merch to purchase, the Vinyl to buy etc. So that's a massive loss when you think how expensive individual merch items usually are. Merch seems to be small cogs that make up a big surge of musicians income, and they can advertise merch better when it's more current & has something new to promote. But them again merch always sells at shows!

I think your spot on about it being down to the Label in a lot of ways man. It's a super interesting topic to ponder! 🤔

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The touring thing is a really strange one, but it makes sense when you think about it. I could be totally wrong about this but this is how I'm thinking of it with limited knowledge:

Like the Tour may sell out which will pay them & will pay whoever's takes a cut from the massive team they have, but which Media/Shows/Interviews will they do for more capital if they've already went and promoted the Stage?

I feel like If every band and their auntie will be comeback touring after lockdown to make up for losses, so the playing field will be saturated & competitive anyway, so without a release, it might make bands seem less relevant to book as a potential headline tour & expect everyone to go - when on that same night there might be a new Slipknot, Metallica album being toured etc.

There's also that problem you mentioned about people afraid of the virus, or even suffering from long covid who can't/won't make shows - these people won't have an Album to stream, merch to purchase, the Vinyl to buy etc. So that's a massive loss when you think how expensive individual merch items usually are. Merch seems to be small cogs that make up a big surge of musicians income, and they can advertise merch better when it's more current & has something new to promote. But them again merch always sells at shows!

I think your spot on about it being down to the Label in a lot of ways man. It's a super interesting topic to ponder! 🤔
    I think in this case it both isn't finished and they don't want to spend 3 years on writing a record of which people forget about in a week because there isn't a tour to support it, it honestly makes perfect sense to me. It's very hard to do proper promo at the moment and if you spend 3 years making a record it's just kind of shitty to go 'ooh well, here you go at least you get a new record'. The general way tours are organised is on the back of your latest album so can't say I blame them for doing this. At the same time he clearly indicated they can't do strings and they can't have it mixed so they are taking a casual approach because they can't really finish it anyway. Why would you stress yourself over something you can't finish anyway you know 😅

As you said competition will be killing when touring starts up again and a new album makes it more likely you beat the competition. Look at it this way, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and A7x all your at the same time at roughly the same spots. metallica, Iron Maiden and Judas priest play the same old song they always do because they can and A7x tours to support the new album so you actually get to see them play new songs, who would you prefer to go and see?

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I think in this case it both isn't finished and they don't want to spend 3 years on writing a record of which people forget about in a week because there isn't a tour to support it, it honestly makes perfect sense to me. It's very hard to do proper promo at the moment and if you spend 3 years making a record it's just kind of shitty to go 'ooh well, here you go at least you get a new record'. The general way tours are organised is on the back of your latest album so can't say I blame them for doing this. At the same time he clearly indicated they can't do strings and they can't have it mixed so they are taking a casual approach because they can't really finish it anyway. Why would you stress yourself over something you can't finish anyway you know 😅

As you said competition will be killing when touring starts up again and a new album makes it more likely you beat the competition. Look at it this way, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and A7x all your at the same time at roughly the same spots. metallica, Iron Maiden and Judas priest play the same old song they always do because they can and A7x tours to support the new album so you actually get to see them play new songs, who would you prefer to go and see?
    Yeah exactly man, spot on! 👌

Reactions: idssdi

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    Shadz talked about his 2020 in an interview with Kerrang and it's pretty cool

loved that interview. and totally agree with the album decision. can’t wait to hear that. ⭐️

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

I see what you are saying. There are TONS of podcasts out there though. Lots of ways to grt the word out. People buy merch through bundle packs now too.. so selling it wouldn't be an issue. Unless you were short on merch itself. But very good point. I think its on they can swing around though.

And youre right the shows will compete. I dont believe ticket prices will he that high. The casual fan will avoid it to watch a cheaper shown I wouldn't try staying at the same prices when lock down ends. People won't be able to afford it. Hopefully they take atleaat 25 to 50 % off. It won't help the bands.. but atleast you'll have everyone celebrating. Call it the fuck covid were free tour. I guarantee it'll sell out.

Anyone who's afraid will get that vaccine. That should be enough to open doors again. The ones who don't get it will take the risk. But the ones who had it should be free from the virus. So there's no need to worry. The same reason I dont understand this rule of not allowing people to live a life without a vaccine when the whole idea of the vaccine is that very person CAN'T GET IT. So why do you care if I do when you'll be immune anyways...

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I'll also add.. Taylor swift and Eminem BOTH released 2 separate albums this year and both sold no problem. We all know a7x is as famous as both those artists. If they can do it and set records i dont see how any artist can say their albums would be forgotten over this period of time.

Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Couple thoughts here. Lots of good points being made.

1. When they gave their story a few months ago, they DID say the album wasn't done and they were struggling to get string sections in to record because of Covid. They also mentioned additional drums at that point, so maybe those are done.

2. Mentioning their mixer is new, but they LOVE Andy Wallace, so that is DEFINITELY who they're talking about. Andy's last mixing credit is from 2018. He doesn't work a lot anymore, and only for bands he has a relationship with. I can't find his exact age, but he opened his first studio in 1974 and that was REALLY expensive back then, so Andy is likely in his early 70s. Andy is respected enough that if he says "I'll do it later," you're waiting until it's done later.

3. The point about touring is important for a lot of reasons. There are a couple wildcards here. We don't know how easy or difficult it will be to get those first tours underwritten. You don't tour without insurance. I don't think you CAN, but you definitely DON'T. There WILL be issues to iron out, and a lot of groups will take a wait and see approach.

3a. The other possibility is a glut of touring, tons of bands hitting tons of venues to try and recoup the losses they suffered in 2020. The global economy is still stagnant and questionable, and even in a robust economy, folks are only going to be able to afford so many concert tickets in one season. They're right in that if the album is older, the more casual fans - the ones who fill out the venue - may go for the Band of the Minute with their new album out NOW rather than 12-18 months prior. Yes, WE would all be there for an A7X show no matter what, but there aren't enough die-hards to fill every venue on a six month tour.

4. Agree with him or not, Matt's thinking is on the right side of history, like he says. Human rights always win in the end. I loved the whole interview.

5. God DAMN. Six hours a day singing? During "downtime" when they're "taking it easy?" Wow. Think about that. I haven't played guitar for six hours in one day probably since my first few years of playing in the 80s. Yes, it was a period of amazing growth, but if I tried to do that today, I'd kill myself. I love guitar, but not that much. Sometimes I wish I still did.

6. They're taking it more casual on the album because outside forces are telling them it ain't happening soon. They're getting a year with their families that they otherwise might not have gotten. Syn gets to bond with his baby girl and if 2020 hadn't been 2020, he might not be bonding with her until long after the new-baby smell wore off. That's an UNBELIEVABLE guilt trip for a parent, and I love that this is giving them the opportunity.

Okay, I think I've spent my brain. See ya next year.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Anyone who's afraid will get that vaccine. That should be enough to open doors again. The ones who don't get it will take the risk. But the ones who had it should be free from the virus. So there's no need to worry. The same reason I dont understand this rule of not allowing people to live a life without a vaccine when the whole idea of the vaccine is that very person CAN'T GET IT. So why do you care if I do when you'll be immune anyways...

Vaccines are marginally effective on their own. What they really rely on is building up what's called "herd immunity." For that you need between 70-90% of people to have that immunity, either naturally (recovering from the disease) or artificially (vaccine). A vaccine does not PREVENT you from getting sick. It reduces susceptibility and transmissibility.

"I got the vaccine, I'm safe" is not a true statement. That's why the anti-vaxxers (prior to the pandemic) presented a danger to society at large. If enough people boarded that idiotic bandwagon, the efficacy for the whole society is reduced. Same with the Covid vaccines. As more people get the vaccine, the world will become safer from it, but it will remain a danger, especially for the most vulnerable. Granted the average metal concert-goer is not going to be among the most vulnerable, but they still go visit Grandma on Sunday after the concert Friday night.

G

Gemma G.S.

Couple thoughts here. Lots of good points being made.

1. When they gave their story a few months ago, they DID say the album wasn't done and they were struggling to get string sections in to record because of Covid. They also mentioned additional drums at that point, so maybe those are done.

2. Mentioning their mixer is new, but they LOVE Andy Wallace, so that is DEFINITELY who they're talking about. Andy's last mixing credit is from 2018. He doesn't work a lot anymore, and only for bands he has a relationship with. I can't find his exact age, but he opened his first studio in 1974 and that was REALLY expensive back then, so Andy is likely in his early 70s. Andy is respected enough that if he says "I'll do it later," you're waiting until it's done later.

3. The point about touring is important for a lot of reasons. There are a couple wildcards here. We don't know how easy or difficult it will be to get those first tours underwritten. You don't tour without insurance. I don't think you CAN, but you definitely DON'T. There WILL be issues to iron out, and a lot of groups will take a wait and see approach.

3a. The other possibility is a glut of touring, tons of bands hitting tons of venues to try and recoup the losses they suffered in 2020. The global economy is still stagnant and questionable, and even in a robust economy, folks are only going to be able to afford so many concert tickets in one season. They're right in that if the album is older, the more casual fans - the ones who fill out the venue - may go for the Band of the Minute with their new album out NOW rather than 12-18 months prior. Yes, WE would all be there for an A7X show no matter what, but there aren't enough die-hards to fill every venue on a six month tour.

4. Agree with him or not, Matt's thinking is on the right side of history, like he says. Human rights always win in the end. I loved the whole interview.

5. God DAMN. Six hours a day singing? During "downtime" when they're "taking it easy?" Wow. Think about that. I haven't played guitar for six hours in one day probably since my first few years of playing in the 80s. Yes, it was a period of amazing growth, but if I tried to do that today, I'd kill myself. I love guitar, but not that much. Sometimes I wish I still did.

6. They're taking it more casual on the album because outside forces are telling them it ain't happening soon. They're getting a year with their families that they otherwise might not have gotten. Syn gets to bond with his baby girl and if 2020 hadn't been 2020, he might not be bonding with her until long after the new-baby smell wore off. That's an UNBELIEVABLE guilt trip for a parent, and I love that this is giving them the opportunity.

Okay, I think I've spent my brain. See ya next year.

This is pretty much everything I was thinking, too. Well said. 👍🏻

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Nobody who is critical of BLM isn't disputing the human rights. We are merely disputing their actions. Because BLM is using "the end justifies the means" Machiavellian rhetoric.

So no, he's not on the right side of history. There are no right or wrong sides to begin with. History is more often than not written by winners, that doesn't mean that the side that didn't win is automatically wrong.

I didn't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I had to react to this. This attitude of the left/BLM that they are "the only ones on the right side of history" is staggeringly annoying.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Nobody who is critical of BLM isn't disputing the human rights. We are merely disputing their actions. Because BLM is using "the end justifies the means" Machiavellian rhetoric.

So no, he's not on the right side of history. There are no right or wrong sides to begin with. History is more often than not written by winners, that doesn't mean that the side that didn't win is automatically wrong.

I didn't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I had to react to this. This attitude of the left/BLM that they are "the only ones on the right side of history" is staggeringly annoying.
    There's a metric shit ton I could say here, but this isn't the place for it. Happy new year, my friend.