• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Shadzman talking about his 2020

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I had some insider information that they had just gone into the studio right before Covid hit, which I was surprised about. I would've thought the album was done by then.

That's the funny thing that none of them are talking about, which is their right and I totally get it. When I met with Syn in the summer of 2019, his implication was that the bulk of the new record was done by that point. He was excited about it, and couldn't wait for people to hear it. So with them hopping back in the studio right before Covid, I have to believe that for whatever reason, they decided to scrap or redo a lot of what was done up to that point.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    That's very likely. I think they're definitely in a delicate spot in their career right now where whatever they release next definitely needs to be up to par with themselves and they need to be selective with the songs they write. This is also probably the only time that they had this kind of time to do that, so they're taking advantage of it

Truth. As much as the Stage was a critical and artistic success, releasing it with no hype absolutely decimated sales, and that cost them the bulk of the marketing capital they'd earned with the business success of HttK. I'm sure they feel like you said, and that experimenting with the release can have a devastating long-term effect on their perceived marketability and stature, especially on their new label. As long as they don't pull a Chinese Democracy (take 10 years and release a middling record), I'll be happy.

J

Jak Angelescu

2 things I got out of this article.

1.. im baffled as to why the band told fans a month ago a bunch of reasons the album is late.. and their reasoning behind it. Then we come to find out they arent even close to done and have been casual the entire year over it.. why wouldn't you explain that the first time to the fans.. kinda confused there.

2.. I may get heat for this but I've said it the entire time. And this is directed to every band using the excuse.. every tour is gonna sell out post lock down. People don't care about new albums. They just wanna go see a show again. All this bs about people not wanting to see a show without a new album just isn't true. Well all be celebrating when its over on tour. Regardless of the music that is out at the time. The people who don't go will be the ones afraid of the virus still.

Just my own personal opinion on the matter.

Obviously in the end the record labels own all those choices so its possible its not even the bands choice.
    I like how you worded this Calvin. I agree with you and you gave some excellent insight on things I hadn't considered

Reactions: Jamie London
    J

Jak Angelescu

My biggest frustration was what he said about the "band thing isn't that important".
    Excuse me?
    The band THING?

You mean your legacy you started with your late best friend and your dream that came true and millions of suicides your music prevented?

Very bad wording in my opinion.
    I could give a fuck less about his political opinions or when he actually releases the album.
    Like I get it's great to spend time with your family. But you have a job. Your band puts food on the table for your family and is the reason you can take them on all these lavish vacations.
    I felt like that was a big slap in the face.

I don't want new clothing drops every month I want a new fucking album. You're musicians not Rue 21.

I have more opinions but it'll start WW3 here so...
    I was talking with another student last night who we agreed on everything about this and they said it best:
    "I feel his choice of wording is going to make the fans turn against each other".

And look. He's right. It's already happening. On the reddit posts, on here, in private chats...

That's my opinion

Reactions: Daniel Sobota
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    My biggest frustration was what he said about the "band thing isn't that important".
    Excuse me?
    The band THING?

You mean your legacy you started with your late best friend and your dream that came true and millions of suicides your music prevented?

I could give a fuck less about his political opinions or when he actually releases the album.
    Like I get it's great to spend time with your family. But you have a job. Your band puts food on the table for your family and is the reason you can take them on all these lavish vacations.

I don't want new clothing drops every month I want a new fucking album. You're musicians not Rue 21.

I was talking with another student last night who we agreed on everything about this and they said it best:
    "I feel his choice of wording is going to make the fans turn against each other".

And look. He's right. It's already happening. On the reddit posts, on here, in private chats...

That's my opinion
    I absolutely agree. And it's terrifying. Avenged Sevenfold has always been what I listen to when I feel like the whole world is trying to force feed you its shit, because it feels like the guys wrote music that relates to that, like they know how it feels. Now I'm scared that A7X is trending in that corporate, mainstream, "buy our merch" direction. It feels like there's a disconnect between the fans and the band. Maybe I'm nuts. I don't know.

I just realized after re-reading that post it sounds like a drunk rant. Oh well.

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
    J

Jak Angelescu

I absolutely agree. And it's terrifying. Avenged Sevenfold has always been what I listen to when I feel like the whole world is trying to force feed you its shit, because it feels like the guys wrote music that relates to that, like they know how it feels. Now I'm scared that A7X is trending in that corporate, mainstream, "buy our merch" direction. It feels like there's a disconnect between the fans and the band. Maybe I'm nuts. I don't know.

I just realized after re-reading that post it sounds like a drunk rant. Oh well.
    No I totally get your point and I feel what you feel

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Couple thoughts here. Lots of good points being made.

1. When they gave their story a few months ago, they DID say the album wasn't done and they were struggling to get string sections in to record because of Covid. They also mentioned additional drums at that point, so maybe those are done.

2. Mentioning their mixer is new, but they LOVE Andy Wallace, so that is DEFINITELY who they're talking about. Andy's last mixing credit is from 2018. He doesn't work a lot anymore, and only for bands he has a relationship with. I can't find his exact age, but he opened his first studio in 1974 and that was REALLY expensive back then, so Andy is likely in his early 70s. Andy is respected enough that if he says "I'll do it later," you're waiting until it's done later.

3. The point about touring is important for a lot of reasons. There are a couple wildcards here. We don't know how easy or difficult it will be to get those first tours underwritten. You don't tour without insurance. I don't think you CAN, but you definitely DON'T. There WILL be issues to iron out, and a lot of groups will take a wait and see approach.

3a. The other possibility is a glut of touring, tons of bands hitting tons of venues to try and recoup the losses they suffered in 2020. The global economy is still stagnant and questionable, and even in a robust economy, folks are only going to be able to afford so many concert tickets in one season. They're right in that if the album is older, the more casual fans - the ones who fill out the venue - may go for the Band of the Minute with their new album out NOW rather than 12-18 months prior. Yes, WE would all be there for an A7X show no matter what, but there aren't enough die-hards to fill every venue on a six month tour.

4. Agree with him or not, Matt's thinking is on the right side of history, like he says. Human rights always win in the end. I loved the whole interview.

5. God DAMN. Six hours a day singing? During "downtime" when they're "taking it easy?" Wow. Think about that. I haven't played guitar for six hours in one day probably since my first few years of playing in the 80s. Yes, it was a period of amazing growth, but if I tried to do that today, I'd kill myself. I love guitar, but not that much. Sometimes I wish I still did.

6. They're taking it more casual on the album because outside forces are telling them it ain't happening soon. They're getting a year with their families that they otherwise might not have gotten. Syn gets to bond with his baby girl and if 2020 hadn't been 2020, he might not be bonding with her until long after the new-baby smell wore off. That's an UNBELIEVABLE guilt trip for a parent, and I love that this is giving them the opportunity.

Okay, I think I've spent my brain. See ya next year.
    Agree with everything you said! That's exactly what I was thinking.

Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Vaccines are marginally effective on their own. What they really rely on is building up what's called "herd immunity." For that you need between 70-90% of people to have that immunity, either naturally (recovering from the disease) or artificially (vaccine). A vaccine does not PREVENT you from getting sick. It reduces susceptibility and transmissibility.

"I got the vaccine, I'm safe" is not a true statement. That's why the anti-vaxxers (prior to the pandemic) presented a danger to society at large. If enough people boarded that idiotic bandwagon, the efficacy for the whole society is reduced. Same with the Covid vaccines. As more people get the vaccine, the world will become safer from it, but it will remain a danger, especially for the most vulnerable. Granted the average metal concert-goer is not going to be among the most vulnerable, but they still go visit Grandma on Sunday after the concert Friday night.
    Yeah, and many people won't be vaccinated, even if they want to, because of many reasons, like some diseases or even because the government won't have enough shots available for everybody (while a lot of countries are already giving the vaccine to its citizens, Brazil hasn't even approved a covid vaccine and the government only bought less than 3% of the amount of needles and syringes to vaccinate the population).

Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Excuse me?
    The band THING?

That's my opinion
    Yes, that part of "band thing isn't important" got me like: "excuse me?!?!? 🤨"
    I think his choice of words really wasn't very fortunate, but I got what he was saying. His family is his priority. He loves A7X, it's his legacy, like you said, but he's having all this time to enjoy with his kids and his wife, and also work on his voice.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ed I actually think you're right with them restarting the album too. Which would make sense giving it was a new writing session. Light as well start from scratch. Maybe not rewrote each song. But record them from fresh. Sometimes songs take different journeys.

And to your immunity herd comment I also can see what you are saying. I'm not saying I'm one of those anti vaccine people but me personally get really nauseous after needles so it's something I'd rather avoid and I'm pretty con fident in my immune system as it is. I'm also 95% convinced i already had it last year so I'd rather pass it up to someone who feels they need it.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I see what you are saying. There are TONS of podcasts out there though. Lots of ways to grt the word out. People buy merch through bundle packs now too.. so selling it wouldn't be an issue. Unless you were short on merch itself. But very good point. I think its on they can swing around though.

And youre right the shows will compete. I dont believe ticket prices will he that high. The casual fan will avoid it to watch a cheaper shown I wouldn't try staying at the same prices when lock down ends. People won't be able to afford it. Hopefully they take atleaat 25 to 50 % off. It won't help the bands.. but atleast you'll have everyone celebrating. Call it the fuck covid were free tour. I guarantee it'll sell out.

Anyone who's afraid will get that vaccine. That should be enough to open doors again. The ones who don't get it will take the risk. But the ones who had it should be free from the virus. So there's no need to worry. The same reason I dont understand this rule of not allowing people to live a life without a vaccine when the whole idea of the vaccine is that very person CAN'T GET IT. So why do you care if I do when you'll be immune anyways...

Great points man! Haha yeah, that tour name would actually be money :ROFLMAO:

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Nobody who is critical of BLM isn't disputing the human rights. We are merely disputing their actions. Because BLM is using "the end justifies the means" Machiavellian rhetoric.

So no, he's not on the right side of history. There are no right or wrong sides to begin with. History is more often than not written by winners, that doesn't mean that the side that didn't win is automatically wrong.

I didn't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I had to react to this. This attitude of the left/BLM that they are "the only ones on the right side of history" is staggeringly annoying.
    All lives matter.