• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Dorian Mode – Lesson 61

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
I think I figured it out. So the modes basically are just the position you start on with the 7 patterns? So for instance, C Lydian is just starting on the 4 position of the mayor scale, being the roots C of course. Chords for C lidian will be based on G major chord family I guess.

Reactions: Forgetabull

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I think I figured it out. So the modes basically are just the position you start on with the 7 patterns? So for instance, C Lydian is just starting on the 4 position of the mayor scale, being the roots C of course. Chords for C lidian will be based on G major chord family I guess.
Yes exactly !

When you play a chord progression based on the G chord family and C is your tonic you are in C Lydian

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
The easy answer is yes. D Dorian is a C Major scale starting on the 2nd note. But (and this is important) the D Dorian scale is a minor scale. It has a b3 & a b7. It has a distinctive sound all its own. It just HAPPENS to share the same notes as a C Major scale. That may seem like a small point, but it's not. The good news is, because it has the same notes as a C scale, we have a head start. If we know the positions of the C Major scale, we also know the positions of the D Dorian Scale. The most important thing to remember here is that our tone center is D.
If you're soloing and thinking C Major scale over D Dorian changes - you are doing it wrong and it's going to sound bad (or at least awkward) - even though you're technically playing all the "right" notes.
Make sense?

Last edited:

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
The easy answer is yes. D Dorian is a C Major scale starting on the 2nd note. But (and this is important) the D Dorian scale is a minor scale. It has a b3 & a b7. It has a distinctive sound all its own. It just HAPPENS to share the same notes as a C Major scale. That may seem like a small point, but it's not. The good news is, because it has the same notes as a C scale, we have a head start. If we know the portions of the C Major scale, we also know the positions of the D Dorian Scale. The most important thing to remember here is that our tone center is D.
If you're soloing and thinking C Major scale over D Dorian changes - you are doing it wrong and it's going to sound bad (or at least awkward) - even though you're technically playing all the "right" notes.
Make sense?
Yes it does! I did some playing over backing tracks and whatever mode I am in, for instance A Dorian, I know that I am using the notes of G major, but I emphasize on the A's of my scale. I make a point to highlight the A's. And for that fretboard knowledge is key. I am still going through some kinks here and there but over this holiday I will work them out.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Ok so, I just want to be sure I understand this correctly. I read all the previous comment of course too but just to be sure, if you take any Major scale and then your flatten the third and seventh, it becomes a Dorian scale. And im talking just pure theory here.

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Ok so, I just want to be sure I understand this correctly. I read all the previous comment of course too but just to be sure, if you take any Major scale and then your flatten the third and seventh, it becomes a Dorian scale. And im talking just pure theory here.
    Yes exactly! I usually go by the major scale of which it is the second mode but that works as well!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Yes exactly! I usually go by the major scale of which it is the second mode but that works as well!
    Yes thats exactly what im going off of too. Bill's Masterclass about the major scale was actually very useful in that respect because he said that all scales are a modification of the Major Scale. In a way, its also easier to understand modes from this perspective of starting with the Major scale (or mode I, Ionian) and then going through the different modes! Now then, here is a follow up question. So while the scale changes when going from ionian to dorian, so does the chord family. I am not sure I understand exactly how we can determine what would be for exemple the chord family of lets say the C dorian! are the changes again on the third and seventh chord too?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yes thats exactly what im going off of too. Bill's Masterclass about the major scale was actually very useful in that respect because he said that all scales are a modification of the Major Scale. In a way, its also easier to understand modes from this perspective of starting with the Major scale (or mode I, Ionian) and then going through the different modes! Now then, here is a follow up question. So while the scale changes when going from ionian to dorian, so does the chord family. I am not sure I understand exactly how we can determine what would be for exemple the chord family of lets say the C dorian! are the changes again on the third and seventh chord too?
    The chord family of C Dorian is basically the same as the Bb ionian chord family except your I chord now is C instead of Bb. If you than compare the chord family of C ionian with C Dorian

For C ionian you have C Dm Em F G Am Bdim and for C Dorian you have Cm Dm Eb F Gm Adim Bb.

Altering two notes in a scale means that tonality can change for some chords and also you can suddenly have a flat 5(like with E in this case) as far as chords where the root note changes go than yes it is just the third and the seventh chord

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The chord family of C Dorian is basically the same as the Bb ionian chord family except your I chord now is C instead of Bb. If you than compare the chord family of C ionian with C Dorian

For C ionian you have C Dm Em F G Am Bdim and for C Dorian you have Cm Dm Eb F Gm Adim Bb.

Altering two notes in a scale means that tonality can change for some chords and also you can suddenly have a flat 5(like with E in this case) as far as chords where the root note changes go than yes it is just the third and the seventh chord
    Interesting! That actually clarifies a lot of things! I will have to dive deep into it more but it all starts to come together!!

Damian Garcia

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Question for clarification just to make sure I’m understanding the material so far. In the video, PG starts us at the 2nd position of the Bb major scale.

So let’s say one wanted to move up and down the fretboard while staying in C Dorian. We are able to continue playing through all positions of the Bb major scale (except not starting with Bb) so long as we continue emphasizing that C is the tonal center, right?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Question for clarification just to make sure I’m understanding the material so far. In the video, PG starts us at the 2nd position of the Bb major scale.

So let’s say one wanted to move up and down the fretboard while staying in C Dorian. We are able to continue playing through all positions of the Bb major scale (except not starting with Bb) so long as we continue emphasizing that C is the tonal center, right?
    Yes, if your chord progression is in C Dorian you can play Bb major all over the neck and it will be C Dorian.

Reactions: Damian Garcia

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Hey guys, I'm finally get on this step. Learning modes. My teacher has taught me Dorian and Myxolydian then of course I wanna compare some notes with PG lessons. But unfortunately the tabs still not sync with the vids.

Well, I've been slicing on soundslice a lot lately due to my ensamble and orchestra tasks. I published some of them on my channel but mostly I did it unpublished. So, is there anything I can do to help here? If there's anything I can do to help just let me know, I'll be glad to help.

Oh, here's my soundslice channel btw

Thanks guys.🙌