• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tuning a guitar with floyd rose

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I made a LONG video about this on a Livestream in an earlier version of SynTV, but it was lost in the migration that happened at the end of the year. I'll see if I I did similar on YouTube and share the link. If not, I think that might be something to tackle on my first SynTV livestream of the year, because it's a VERY common thing.

Upvote 0

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    I bought a TremBlock off of Amazon and positioned it underneath the fine tuners. The tremolo should be rested in a way that is roughly parallel to the body, and tuned all the strings. Look up images for reference. Then remove the block, and hopefully in your case, it levels out the first time so you don’t need to adjust the springs.

You will know whether you need to adjust the springs when you tune the guitar, and observed that the tremolo is still resting perfectly on the block or if it has lifted a bit.

If it has been raised and the block is loose, you’ll need to flatten the tubing and tighten the springs in the back. Tune it right back, and repeat until you get the tension correct.

The inverse can be true where the trem recesses further into the body and you’ll need to loosen the springs.

I’ve read that changing string gauges, material types and even between manufactures will throw the off the balance and likely intonation on top of that. So commit to a string set if you don’t want to struggle readjusting after each restring.

I’m sure I missed a few pointers, but hopefully this gets you started. Takes a bit of patience, though definitely worth it when done right.

Best of Luck!!!

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection