• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Can you put a EVH D-tuna on a syn guitar?

urares21

One Stringer
Dec 25, 2021
România
In my band I we play some songs with drop tuning but most are standard so I have my syn guitar on standard and I change guitars for the drop, but i am sick of carrying everywhere 2 guitars. I found on YouTube this EVH D-tuna device that can make a Floyd rose change the tuning of the low E in seconds but can it work on a syn guitar?

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Reading through the D-Tuna website (holy shit it looks like a blast from the past, I feel like it could use a little bit of a refresher but eh, don't fix what isn't broken). The D-Tuna can be used on any Floyd Rose or licensed Floyd Rose tremolo with the long locking screw, where the fine tuner on the bridge presses directly on the locking screw. So, it should work. You won't be able to raise the remolo up as much for high pitched squeals I believe, but divebombs you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Definitely would have to block it in order for it to work the way it's designed. When I bought my 08 sig it came with it and was already blocked. I didn't understand the mechanics behind it and took the block out and wondered why it never worked until I read the instructions later like a dumbass.
    I would have done the same lol

Reactions: AlexWellsSW
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The D-Tuna works best when you have the Floyd surface-mounted, meaning the body isn't routed to sit the trem lower into the body.

1687811227448.png

The Syn guitars have the trem recessed (routed), so if you want to add a D-Tuna and use it to its fullest extent, you need to route the cavity back about 3/4 of an inch where the low E string is.

1687811304942.png

Upvote 0

urares21

One Stringer
    Dec 25, 2021
    România
    The D-Tuna works best when you have the Floyd surface-mounted, meaning the body isn't routed to sit the trem lower into the body.

View attachment 3551

The Syn guitars have the trem recessed (routed), so if you want to add a D-Tuna and use it to its fullest extent, you need to route the cavity back about 3/4 of an inch where the low E string is.

View attachment 3552
    Ouch

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    An option you could entertain is tuning the string to E with the fine-tuning screw almost all the way tightened when you lock down the nut. From there, you *should* be able to get down to D only with the fine-tuner. While that would take longer than a D-Tuna, it's probably less time than changing guitars, especially after you get used to doing it with an electronic tuner.

Upvote 0