• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

what is a good tube amp for an apartment

G

I want a tube amp that is decent for a apartment, I worried that something will be to loud. I want something that sounds good to so I don’t know, if you guys have any suggestions tell me please

Joe Giumarello

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
New Jersey
www.tiktok.com
I have a 6505mh, it has a 20w, 5w, and 1w setting so it can get pretty quiet but doesn’t sacrifice tone. It also has a speaker defeat button on the back so you can wear headphones and not damage the head. It’s a great little amp. I have it with an Orange PPC112 with a vintage 30 and I have no regret for buying it!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Tube amps are notoriously loud, and usually require BEING loud to sound good. They also typically require that a cabinet/speaker be attached to them for proper load.
    For apartment living, I think an emulator is better – AxeFX, Kemper, or on the cheaper side, Line6 Pod HD500 or one of their other products.
    If you’re sure you want a solid tube amp, PRS has just announced a Mark Tremonti 15 watt tube amp that promises to sound killer (Mark is a tone snob) and is priced around $650 US for the head. I’d wait and buy that if I was unwilling to emulate.

Dave Ward

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    If you looking for a great clean tube tone or blues rock I love my Bugera 5watt tube amp. It is switchable down to .1 or 1 watt too so nice compression at super low volume. definitely not a high gain amp though but you could drive it with effects. Good value for the money.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Liberty IN
    I have a vox vt40+ it’s a 60 watt amp I think. It sounds better when it’s loud but I play it all the time in my bedroom at a very low volume and it still sounds awesome. Mine was $175 very affordable, lots of effects and presets as Well, Id check it out if your wanting a smallish tube amp

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sean McKeown

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I bought the Kemper Profiler Amp a few years ago exactly for this reason. At low volumes, through studio monitors, it sounds great. It is way better than amp software, which I had tried a lot of those. It’s expensive, though (over $2,000), but I think it’s worth it, as I had already spent that on other stuff in the years prior.

Mike Lawrence

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Canada
    I own a Mesa boogie mark V 35 combo that I play in my appartement.
    This thing can switch between 10, 25 and 35 Watts. I thought I could play it at 10 Watts, but even at 10 Watts it’s to loud.
    So I picked up this “amp attenuator” https://www.tedweber.com/load-dump
    And I can now run the volume full blast. So I guess any amp with an attenuator is good.