• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What the heck?!

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
This is related to the last forum I posted. I know Ed read it but long story short, I put new strings on my electric the other day and measured wrong so I was forced to use the B as a G and G as a B string. Ed suggested I fix it asap so today I bought a whole brand new set of strings to fix it. No problems putting them on, I get done and there is still that out of pitch buzzing at the 17th fret on the D string. It should be a G when played but it is a combination of a G# note with buzzing. I fixed the issue I made before and it is still buzzing. What could it be?? It didn’t do this before when I had the last pair of strings on. This buzzing noise makes my ears bleed, it sounds horrible. What do i do?

Tristan Martinek

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
All that I understand from what you are explaining seems to be fret leveling issue… But again I’m not sure to get everything ^^’
Did you change guauge ? Is your neck straight ?
Try to push harder on the string to see if it’s start to sound like a G (even if it’s sharp odd), if so it’s probably your 17th fret that is too low, or 18th too high.

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Okay it’s a Gibson styled tunomatic bridge. I realize now that when I first put the strings on that peice fell out and I’m fairly positive that I accidently turned some of the screw. That’s why evwrything is off. I read a little but about it and which way to turn the screws to lower it and raise it. I’m assuming since it’s buzzing it is too low? I tried that on the D string but it didn’t help. I don’t know a whole lot when it comes to intonation and setting up the action or anything. I know it’s probably hard for you guys to give me advice without fully knowing the current situation but some advice is better than none I guess