• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

When do you consider an etude complete?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey everyone!

So I use the etude as sort of warm ups and such and I learn them and pretty much know some of them by heart but I cant play them at 100% speed yet.

So my question to you all, since I want to advance in the etudes and do more complex pattern, is when should I mark an etude as complete?

When I know it by heart and can play it a more than average speed or only when I can play at the maximum speed?

Thank you!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I use the full speed as a sign it's complete but at the same time if you play it at a slower speed you're still playing the etude so it's really what you want to get out of them.
    I mean, to me I really see them as sort of practice for the specific technique. And while I think I can do them pretty well to a decent speed, I am not quite on the level of being able to them full speed. But I dont want to get stuck on one etude feeling like I NEED to have it full speed before moving on to the next because at one point it sort of gets boring?

Point is, at the same time I dont want to cheat the xp and completionist system by just blindly marking things as complete so thats why im asking

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Imo the right time is either when you know it by memory or when you have decided to not invest any more time in it.

I would consider it perfectly legitimate to listen to an etude once, decide you don't like how it sounds, then mark it complete and never come back to it.

Quick edit- as a side note I don't see any reason to go through the etudes in order. Just pick the ones you like.

Synner Endless Summer Collection