• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

When You Are Buying a Guitar, What Do You Look For?

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey fellow students, I have a question that’s becoming somewhat relevant for me and I thought it’d be cool to get a more public opinion. When y’all are out buying a new guitar or looking for a new guitar, what do you look for mostly in the guitar you pull off the shelf? Is it the feel, the tone, the design, etc.? Personally on my last guitar I looked 100% for the feel, but I’m curious what everyone else has to say!

Sven Barnitzki

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    For me personally it’s very subjective, but all needs to be in a good configuration 🙂 if the look is sharp af, the specs also have to fit. Neck-feel and form, fretboard-action, bridge etc.
    The only thing in standard-config that aren´t that important, are the pickups. In most terms, i change them 😀

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Every guitar was a spontaneous buy. Except the Revenger. I got that one for sure. But my acoustic, my apocalypse I just kind of did it. If you are unsure of the type of guitar you want, you should just walk into the store and play a bunch until you find one you love.

Josh Lightner

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have several guitars, and when I make the choice to purchase something different I typically lean toward the type of pick ups, followed by the shape of the neck. I’m not one to stick with a specific brand, I have owned Squiers and Epiphones (both signature models) as well as schecter and a few charvels, each purchase just felt right in my hands and were comfortable to hold.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    The sound is the priority. But also the accuracy in terms of tuning. Foe example, an open lower E string, 5th fret on B string and 10th fret on G string should give the exact same note when properly tuned. many guitars do not have this thing. Also tune lock is better to have you are more into extended solos with loads of bending.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Tuning locking is actually the reason I leaned towards getting a Floyd Rose on my last guitar. I don’t do a ton of divebombs, I use it for tremolo at most usually, but the tuning stability I get from the locking nut is wonderful. As far as the tuning accuracy, most guitars can (and should) have that tuning accuracy when properly intonated, which can be done by the owner.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Went to the music store today, and saw this for 320. It’s used, but is the same guitar I already have but with the pick up. When I got the guitar new 5 years ago, it was 285. So basically a huge upgrade for a little cost.
    Like I said, some days I just walk into the store and find something I just cant walk out without.