• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Wrist Muscles Ache

Samuel Desjardins

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
montreal, canada
Hello everyone,
I need some advice, I’m Learning Seek & Destroy by Metallica and I’m at the very fast riff before the solo where the tempo goes up drastically. I’m essentially doing all down picks like James Hetfield does and I’m almost at the actual tempo (I’d say i’m comfortable at 90% speed). When i try playing faster i find my wrist muscles start to tire rapidly. Any tips on building the required stamina or is it my picking technique that needs to be adjusted?
Thanks!

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
It’s just something that will come over time.
I like to work my right hand on some riffs such as what you are learning and as soon as my right hand becomes tired I work on some legato runs with my left hand. When my left becomes tired I go back to my right hand which will have recovered by then. You’re killing two birds with one stone then. It will come over time though, be patient =)

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Welp as far as picking technique goes, I would recommend using alternate picking if your not already. It really helps your speed and it’s a lot faster than just using down strokes. But James Hetfield uses it so you could probably make it work? Alternate picking would be less tiring on your wrist though. Hope this helps!

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly dude when you want to play chug riffs down picking is fitting but it isn’t always beneficial, you wrist is a lot more relaxed when you play alternate and for fast runs and riffs down picking can be a burden, alternate picking can seem difficult to some but it will improve speed and technique a lot. Try playing what you are doing with both and see which is better because it is personal preference at the end of the day. Hope this helps 🙂