• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Advice for beginners

G

Here is some a advice for beginners hope this helps. So I was thinking about when it was started playing guitar and how hard it was for me that was about three years ago in February of 2015 because I knew nothing about guitar and how to play I didn’t even know how to play on a fret I did not know if you where supposed to press on the metal part or not haha. But I did not give up on it by 6 to 8 month’s of playing I finally figured out a lot of things about guitar it was great.but I figured out I did not play as clean as I wanted to I started working on that and got better then I felt stuck for awhile then I started learning more then got stuck then I found this website it’s so great I’m learning so much I was learning sweep picking before this website and I could not get it down then I watched the videos and I figured it out. So what I want to say to beginning guitar players don’t give up it gets a lot better. Stay focused and be the best guitar player you can be if you see someone doing something you can’t try to learn it and get as good as that person I’m no where near a great player I’m also self taught to play but I can say I know a lot more then I started playing guitar also if playing guitar is your dream don’t give up on it. So overall I hope I helped you beginning guitar players and I hope Syn or Brain sees this and comments on if they think this is good advice. So yeah again I hope this helps 🙂

G

An easy thing you can do to figure out the notes is a clip on tuner use this, that’s how I figured it out haha but it does work and the note is on the 4 string third fret is a sharp or b flat or if your talking about the d string it is E haha. Thank you

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Speed comes naturally. Practice it slow until you absolutely know it. Your exercises will speed up based on how well you know what you’re practicing. Practice playing everything clean and you will get it! We are all studying how to play.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

LeoNoComply

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ireland.
    not sure if this is still active but i couldn’t find anywhere else that seemed right to ask, ive been playing guitar on and off for years now, and so as not to miss anything i’m working my way through from lesson 1. i was wondering about looking at the fretboard while playing.
    is this something that is covered by syn or papa gates in a lesson i havent got to yet? if not what does anyone more experienced think, id really like to stop it 🙂

Ana Psuturi

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Looking at the fretboard is something we all go through,while learning new shapes or picking teqniques we’re not familiar with. But after everyday practice all the knowledge gets into the muscle memory and chord changes will come naturally. Just practice a lot and you will stop looking at fretting hand in no time.

John Tierney

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    -I think a good idea for starting is to get a journal and write out the scales and by extension the chords on paper. That way when your kind of confused in the lessons (like me sometimes) turn on the fretboard option and you can see the notes in the scales at work (REALLY HELPFUL).
    -Try and also just stop and simply think on your practice and ask these questions.
    1) How well did I do?
    2) What did I do wrong?
    3) HOW can I fix what I did wrong?
    – Practice to a metronome too. I will admit I am VERY VERY GUILTY of NOT doing this, but I use a program that tracks my playing so there is technically a metronome built in, but when I tried it, I couldn’t do it.
    However I think a good alternative is to find a backing track at a tempo you are comfortable with and play along with that (feels more exciting)
    – DON’T tense your hands you will get sloppy in your playing and you only need a smidge of pressure to let the note ring out, pressing too hard actually skews the pitch. Play SOMEWHAT loose and you will sound better.
    – Challenge yourself !! Try a new spot or new key and work there. I think its good to be versatile.
    -BE REALISTIC!!! (This may be hard for some I was one of them) I walked into guitar at 16 wanting to learn all these crazy rock solos and what not and I’m no where near it after 2 years of serious playing. I learned simpler songs that had a good harmony and emphasized the thing I wanted to do.
    – Learn songs, Follow these rules in the order!!!! VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1) Pick a song I like
    2) Look up the tabs or a person doing a cover
    3) What techniques are being used and is it in my wheel house?
    – Yes: Move on to 4 ———– No: Go to 1
    4) Do ONE part first (intro, chorus, verse) GOING SLOW at first and speeding up and in a few days of practicing ask this. “Did I learn this at a pace and sound Im proud of? (DONT DONT DONT tear yourself down.)
    – Yes: Move on to 5 ———– No: Go to 6
    5) Learn more and go to 4 or put it in your back pocket for later and go to 1
    6) Whats wrong?
    Too hard: Go to 1
    Not keeping up or it sounds sloppy but I saw something new in my playing: Go to 4
    Follow this and build ego songs (songs that make you feel good) ALSO take on a HARDER song thats a LITTLE BIT above your reach and call it a project song (3 egos to 1 project)
    Hope this helps and Rock on everyone 🙂