• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

At the point of giving up.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey man! Do not worry at all, what you're feeling is absolutely normal (even though it sucks!) It's your mind and body's way of saying 'Hey, let me get this in my own time' - Just know, you're not failing, you're learning.

The key really is 'time'

Getting to the point in your playing that you're looking for is going to take just that, a whole lot of it - and that's the best part! It's all positive growth and patience :)

If you consider what you're actually training your hands to do - it can help to think of yourself as a kind of robot (let me explain, I know that sounds odd) Basically it takes loads of tiny, really well calibrated sets of 'motor skills'/muscle memory in your hands to get to the point where more difficult techniques will feel manageable/natural on your instrument. At the moment you're willing your hands to do really intricate things that they maybe need more time to get used to, and the more time you allow them, the quicker you will get there, because you won't be at war with yourself.

I used to sit with my guitar and do exactly what you describe just now - playing exercises to warm up, and then maybe launch into the afterlife solo :ROFLMAO: - I would get so frustrated and throw my guitar down, my wrist all seized up etc and pick half shredded. I wanted to play fast so bad that it's all I tried to do - and those were wasted months in hindsight. What I didn't think of was taking my time. And I swear to god, the minute I sat down and said to myself 'It doesn't matter if I play fast, I'm just gonna play 'clean, accurate and relaxed, and the speed will come.' - my chops drastically improved. I wasn't putting any pressure on my limbs to perform at a certain standard, I was allowing them time to. I got out of my own way and my playing got where I wanted it.

So in a nut shell, breathe, relax, get excited for the learning process and learn to laugh when you hit these walls, cause it's a never ending cycle. The guitar plays hard to get all the time and it's the thrill of the chase that keeps us all sitting down and working on things! Not to be cheesy but - slow and steady wins the race haha.

You're going to look back at this thread one day and smile, man!

Hopefully this helps!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    The reason i want to give up is because i cant seem to focus on anything and im always rushing into things like expecting to master difficult songs right off the bat like (examples-scream, and bonus songs like dancing dead, crossroads, girl i know, and lost it all) and not taking baby steps and doing exercises and like practicing is there anything i can do or any positive messages that can motivate me to want to keep playing because the thing is i dont want to stop playing syn is the reason i even picked up a guitar in the first place but another part is telling me i wanna give up sorry about this im not trying to be a downer i guess im just in a slump.
    Just focus on starting to practice Syn's etudes. I've been playing for two years and could play afterlife solo within a year of starting. You would be surprised at how fast you can learn. Also don't focus on a certain song or solo per say, enjoy the process of improving (for example increasing your speed on the etudes). Look at some of my videos if you want to see how much progress you can make (or even more!) within 2 years! I'll try to find a video of what I could play a little while after starting

Reactions: Dk6661
    Here are some things...
    1. Check your ego at the door. You can't play the songs you want to. That's not a bad thing. You can't expect yourself to be able to master those difficult songs in any length of time if you're not disciplined/willing to do the lame boring exercises
    2. You have to take small and slow steps. Even Syn says to. No other way around it.
    3. Stop competing with competition that isn't there. You're setting yourself up to competitive expectations and you just end up fighting yourself therefore not being able to
    4. Enjoy playing guitar
    5. Do these lessons regularly and ask questions for feedback. There are roughly 4 lessons here that would help you with Scream alone
    6. Try the Andre Segovia method of practice. Practice ONE thing religiously for about fifteen minutes than take a break to get up, move around and clear your mind. Then sit down and either move on or continue to practice the same thing.

We can't have good practice unless our heads are clear and calm. I was there like you but I didn't give up and I got better. It's a long road so grab some highway snacks, buckle up and enjoy the ride
    LOVE THIS!