• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Because there is no M.Shadows School.

Hows my singing?

• Good

• Could be better

• You actually surprised me

• Wow Thats amazing

• Not the best

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is exciting! I encourage you to continue Andrew! :) At the moment you need to build your basic technique, but with guidance and practice you could improve.
If you are interested in Rock and Metal singing, a good primer into basic technique and vocal health is the book "The Rock-n-roll Singer's Survival Manual" by Mark Baxter, then you could
take a look at either Ken Tamplin's "How to sing better than anyone else 2.0" or Melissa Cross' "The Zen of Screaming". Either of those is a good course that promotes healthy techniques, so you don't hurt your voice.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
This is exciting! I encourage you to continue Andrew! :) At the moment you need to build your basic technique, but with guidance and practice you could improve.
If you are interested in Rock and Metal singing, a good primer into basic technique and vocal health is the book "The Rock-n-roll Singer's Survival Manual" by Mark Baxter, then you could
take a look at either Ken Tamplin's "How to sing better than anyone else 2.0" or Melissa Cross' "The Zen of Screaming". Either of those is a good course that promotes healthy techniques, so you don't hurt your voice.
I really want to continue with youiscian but they only allow you to pay years subscription in one go instead of monthly which is putting me off. but it is really fun and engaging. How much are those books? The problem I have is I have trouble concentrating and being determined I found with yousician it was more engaging and fun. Thank you soo much for commenting.

I really want to continue with youiscian but they only allow you to pay years subscription in one go instead of monthly which is putting me off. but it is really fun and engaging. How much are those books? The problem I have is I have trouble concentrating and being determined I found with yousician it was more engaging and fun. Thank you soo much for commenting.
The first book is about $25 (canadian dollars) it's a pretty easy read, the other two are video courses, but it's true, they do take determination to complete.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

I'm giving honest feedback here. But I'm only coming from honest feedback because my singer didn't improve until she started getting on honest feedback and you asked for it. You sing very heavily through your nose which I understand that M. Shadows and axl rose had a tendency to do that but yours is very compressed sounding. I would also work on your breath support but I think it would be best if maybe my singer could comment on this and not me because I'm a guitarist lol. I want you to know 1st and foremost that singing is not easy. And I definitely commend you for putting this up there for criticism and positive feedback. As somebody who grew up singing pop songs and wanting to be a pop star, I thought singing was easy and boy I was sorely mistaken. I will tag my singer in this thread and she will be able to give you awesome tips to improve your voice that helped her massively! Keep working on it though buddy because at the rate that you improve with guitar you will be a great singer in no time!

I'm going to be very honest, your voice is very thin. You can tell that you're kind of just winging it at this point because you haven't really built the basis of your voice. .I really would work with a piano are keyboard it's easy to get wrapped up in the good sound of a recording studio when there can be pitch fix and vocal effects to make ourselves seem louder and more powerful than what we really are. .It's very hard for me to give any kind of feedback other than the fact that I think you need to work with a piano you're not awful for sure but you're not where you could potentially be if you really worked at it. Again these are all subjective though take with it what you will but ultimately I think doing some solid practicing and focusing on your voice would be the best thing to do. Good luck with that!

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
i agree with jak and holly, you're not awful, in fact you can sing good but you need to learn the proper technique and do lots of practice just like with guitar, when you try to improve your playing you're not only playing songs, you also play different excercises that are created to perfect some special techniques and fingers movements, its the same with singing :), cheers man you have voice so work it out hard (but don't hurt your voice haha) and you will get it :)

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
I'm going to be very honest, your voice is very thin. You can tell that you're kind of just winging it at this point because you haven't really built the basis of your voice. .I really would work with a piano are keyboard it's easy to get wrapped up in the good sound of a recording studio when there can be pitch fix and vocal effects to make ourselves seem louder and more powerful than what we really are. .It's very hard for me to give any kind of feedback other than the fact that I think you need to work with a piano you're not awful for sure but you're not where you could potentially be if you really worked at it. Again these are all subjective though take with it what you will but ultimately I think doing some solid practicing and focusing on your voice would be the best thing to do. Good luck with that!
Is there anything to the idea that: when you sing, sometimes you can do an impression of the songs original singer? So say you sing a A7X song, it's quite common for singers to try and adopt the tone of M. Shadows, and try and get his voice almost. Do you think there is anything to this?

Is there anything to the idea that: when you sing, sometimes you can do an impression of the songs original singer? So say you sing a A7X song, it's quite common for singers to try and adopt the tone of M. Shadows, and try and get his voice almost. Do you think there is anything to this?

Here is the thing yes, it is very common for people to mimic the person that they are trying to sing over. But it's not necessarily him sounding like somebody or not sounding like somebody I'm going off of the strict sound of his voice. Singing is my primary instrument that's my thing so I can hear a thin voice in him it's not about thing necessarily it's just because hes a baby with it. If he just works with a piano or keyboard and really solidly sits down and works on his voice he potentially could be very good at what he does. I'm not scrutinizing him I'm simply giving him honesty back which is what he asked for anybody Can become very good at their instrument if they practice it and put a lot of heart into it. And I will say this M. Shadows is not a thin singer by any means yes he can tend to push his voice very forward into the nasal area to protect his voice but he certainly is not a thin singer he actually has quite good control with his diaphragm that's why hes got a very robust voice.

J

Jak Angelescu

We all can agree that it is very common for people to mimic their idols in the very beginning and there is nothing wrong with that because everybody does that. However, I have told this to Andrew several times. He has been playing long enough that I would like to see his own voice come through a little bit more in both guitar and vocally. When you speak Andrew, you have a very stylishly handsome voice and a very sexy accent to be honest. You have a great feel with the guitar that I heard come through with your acoustic rendition of the stage solo. You know how to play guitar. I've heard some of your original riffs before and they are really incredible. I would still like to see you try to push a little bit more for your own originality. Of course I want you to do with what makes you happy. But I don't want you to forget or push aside the natural gift you have as your own individual musician.

Reactions: Edward John

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Vocals Is all about muscles. 2 years ago I could barely hit high notes. I also got better after learning deep breathing exercises. It takes months to years to not practice pitch.. but holding that pitch or.note. I'd say you'd have to commit as much as you would guitar.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
You will get better and better so continue practicing. I will definitely encourage you but try to control the nasal tone. I don't know if that's natural to you. If it is, you need to control that cuz it sounds forced. If it is not, then keep the force to minimum good luck.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
Thanks, everyone for the comments. I wasn't trying to mimic m.shadows I even talk nasally. I just thought this was a big improvement from my singing normally. I thought I especially did quite good falsetto in the end, perhaps maybe I put it to low in the mix. I don't know what a voice being thin means. Hopefully, I will improve.

J

Jak Angelescu

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I wasn't trying to mimic m.shadows I even talk nasally. I just thought this was a big improvement from my singing normally. I thought I especially did quite good falsetto in the end, perhaps maybe I put it to low in the mix. I don't know what a voice being thin means. Hopefully, I will improve.
I don't think I can recall you singing in any other song or riff video unless I have missed it so I didn't have anything to go off of as far as improvement goes. You also don't sound nasally when you talk to me. Tag me in an old singing video of yours🙂

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
I don't think I can recall you singing in any other song or riff video unless I have missed it so I didn't have anything to go off of as far as improvement goes. You also don't sound nasally when you talk to me. Tag me in an old singing video of yours🙂
If I don't sound nasal when I talk thank god I thought I did lol I feel much better. THis song is mastered but not online sounds so much better mastered. I don't sing in English. Also the suavement lentamente vocal my vocal is more hidden.