• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Collab! Final Placements and Composition!

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    So here are the time stamps for each section so you guys can navigate easier for your spot. We tried to devide them so that everyone gets equal playing time. While on paper that might seem easy, in reality it's not. Some people will get a bit more playing time while others will get less. That's nothing personal it's just that the sections of the track aren't the same length. We hope you guys understand!

verse 1 - 0:03

prechorus 1 - 0:39

chorus 1 - 0:52

verse 2 - 1:22

prechorus 2 - 1:58

chorus 2 - 2:11

2:36 - 2:48 - for this section we thought it would be best to not play anything but instead let the lead and the rhythm player ( Jackson and Kfir) just let their notes ring out and slowly fade away

bridge - 2:49

build up 1st part - 3:25 - 3:44

build up 2nd part - 3:44 - 4:03

chorus 3 - 4:04

outro - 4:33

Do we have a backing track without the guitars playing? 😅

The way its worded makes it sound very very misleading and with ids reply basically telling me everything needs to be a similar sound.. basically if you guys wanted to do a collab song over a solo collab it would been nice to know from the beginning.. both are very different. And knowing we'd have a leader over see parts where people most likely don't need it.. i understand offering services at this rate like i said if the captain doesn't like it (it WILL come down to personal preference) they will make you change it. "It has to be good" more and more fun seems to be taken out with every step. Which was 100% why i thought we were doing it.
    Calvin, I'm gonna be blunt, managing 20+ people to a common goal is no easy task. The 3 people who have been working on leadership and organization have been working very hard FOR MONTHS.
    Every single decision we make takes lots of discussion and considerations to keep in mind.
    New challenges arise and we have to adapt, there is no way every detail could have been planned from the get go.

I don't take lightly the disrespect of my peers' hard work.

What we are asking for is not unreasonable. We are asking EVERYONE to be a team player. This collaboration is not about any ONE person in particular, it's about ALL OF US.
    We NEVER said you couldn't play what you wanted, it just needs to make sense in the context of the song.

If you are not prepared to be a TEAM PLAYER why did you sign up for a COLLABORATIVE project?

Take it or leave it. Your choice.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Calvin, I'm gonna be blunt, managing 20+ people to a common goal is no easy task. The 3 people who have been working on leadership and organization have been working very hard FOR MONTHS.
    Every single decision we make takes lots of discussion and considerations to keep in mind.
    New challenges arise and we have to adapt, there is no way every detail could have been planned from the get go.

I don't take lightly the disrespect of my peers' hard work.

What we are asking for is not unreasonable. We are asking EVERYONE to be a team player. This collaboration is not about any ONE person in particular, it's about ALL OF US.
    We NEVER said you couldn't play what you wanted, it just needs to make sense in the context of the song.

If you are not prepared to be a TEAM PLAYER why did you sign up for a COLLABORATIVE project?

Take it or leave it. Your choice.
    Okay gotta pop my two sense in.
    I get where Calvin is coming from saying that at the end of the day it IS going to come down to personal preference. Ill also add I’m more confused now than at the beginning. It has changed a lot and I get every bump isn’t going to be anticipated and that’s cool. No biggie

however, just my take..... when I see statements like “it’s about ALL of us”
    But then see, statements about the 3 in a “leadership” role having made the decisions etc etc....
    but no one else in the group was even asked for opinions on anything. That kind of sucks.
    If it is about ALL of us, then I’d like to think we would have been made privy to those conversations with the few.
    Let the collective group in on what’s going on and what discussions were being had, get a consensus and then the “leaders” could go from that. That way everyone’s voice was heard.
    not sure if I’m articulating this well. If not please let know. 😊

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Also, side note... in case it isn’t obvious, I’m not trying to stir the pot. I made a comment earlier this morning as well. I just wanted to address that I see both sides. I love all of you guys here. I like to think of the school as a family. And I’m sure as we all know, families often have disagreements lol but it’s how we handle them and communicate them that matters.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly Guys let's Just Go for it. There will probably Not even be a Problem judging from all the Videos we've already Seen for lead and rhythm 😊
    I agree 100%. Hindsight is 20/20, we can only move forward. We are all in this together 👍🏻
    I just like to see everyone get along and be heard ❤️

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Another side note, I saw insta groups were mentioned. Should we reach out ourselves or is that going to be done automatically? I’m personally excited to get started since y’all know I cant write my own stuff (at least I don’t think I can) and I need practice time 🤣 ugh the woes of being a beginner in a sea of so many awesome players ! Lol

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Another side note, I saw insta groups were mentioned. Should we reach out ourselves or is that going to be done automatically? I’m personally excited to get started since y’all know I cant write my own stuff (at least I don’t think I can) and I need practice time 🤣 ugh the woes of being a beginner in a sea of so many awesome players ! Lol
    I am also excited about insta groups for sections. It will streamline the entire process, plus lots of scope for creative interactions

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Ok.....as I can see the situation is kinda tense. Just wanted to say that I get both parts.

@Calvin Phillips doesn't want his creative freedom taken away from, which I don't want either, but like @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga said....it has to sound cohesive. But that it doesnt mean identical.

If we are playing blues ....shredding is gonna sound kinda bad....unless one is Stevie Ray Vaughn. Also in the rock section some soft no distortion solo is gonna be kinda off too.

In both cases playing off key is also not gonna fly.

I think that the "leaders" job is not to censor our ideas, but to keep them grounded for the collab. Whats the best for the backing track and for the collab.
    (For instance....synyster gates solo in the collab with Good Charlotte's The river song....no shredding there..cause it was not meant for the song)

We have been working on this for quite a while and this is the final stretch. Let's not fall apart over this.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ok.....as I can see the situation is kinda tense. Just wanted to say that I get both parts.

@Calvin Phillips doesn't want his creative freedom taken away from, which I don't want either, but like @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga said....it has to sound cohesive. But that it doesnt mean identical.

If we are playing blues ....shredding is gonna sound kinda bad....unless one is Stevie Ray Vaughn. Also in the rock section some soft no distortion solo is gonna be kinda off too.

In both cases playing off key is also not gonna fly.

I think that the "leaders" job is not to censor our ideas, but to keep them grounded for the collab. Whats the best for the backing track and for the collab.
    (For instance....synyster gates solo in the collab with Good Charlotte's The river song....no shredding there..cause it was not meant for the song)

We have been working on this for quite a while and this is the final stretch. Let's not fall apart over this.
    The entire idea was honestly that blues and rock were 2 different feels and we were gonna sway back and forth.

My issue is mainly that I KNOW there are people who aren't fond of me here. People who never follow anything of mine. Not a single like. And they are gonna be my captain?

Love or hate what I had to say it needed to be said. I know this is your first collab yourr arranging and quite honestly i feel the exact same vibe i got when the one guy on schecter forums did a collab. I entered and he completely ignored my entry cause "it wasn't good enough"

The same thing is happening here. You will make the person feel horrible. Like i said if you were.planning on doing a collab song over a bunch of solos it woulda been easier to say it at the start.

All I've seen honestly is more intimidation sent towards the players.

Wasn't trying to create drama but all im saying is everything changed.. even from deciding who goes where.. i swear we'd get a say and next thing you knew everyone went where you wanted them. The idea of an audition was for a vote that never happened. (I could be wrong there).

I understand the hardwork put in place. I just think you guys are over doing it a little. Im not going to say anything else on the matter but that if I write my solo think its cool and get told its not.. im probably just dropping out. Cause quite honestly i want my style and vibe to show.. not one that isnt to someone else personal taste so they don't think it doesn't fit the bill. And yes I feel personal opinions will weigh into there too. If you don't like what I have to say I'm sorry but honestly I felt that way since you guys went ahead and set lead spots without even asking people if they felt they fit there too.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Alright, here's my first, really rough take.

My thoughts on this:
    I especially like that the fast tapping lines up well with the fast alternate picking in the backing track. Also the end phrasing is supposed to line up with the power chords. I'm thinking about adding a Wah to the tapping part and onward for the final take. If we stick with this of course :)

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    The entire idea was honestly that blues and rock were 2 different feels and we were gonna sway back and forth.

My issue is mainly that I KNOW there are people who aren't fond of me here. People who never follow anything of mine. Not a single like. And they are gonna be my captain?

Love or hate what I had to say it needed to be said. I know this is your first collab yourr arranging and quite honestly i feel the exact same vibe i got when the one guy on schecter forums did a collab. I entered and he completely ignored my entry cause "it wasn't good enough"

The same thing is happening here. You will make the person feel horrible. Like i said if you were.planning on doing a collab song over a bunch of solos it woulda been easier to say it at the start.

All I've seen honestly is more intimidation sent towards the players.

Wasn't trying to create drama but all im saying is everything changed.. even from deciding who goes where.. i swear we'd get a say and next thing you knew everyone went where you wanted them. The idea of an audition was for a vote that never happened. (I could be wrong there).

I understand the hardwork put in place. I just think you guys are over doing it a little. Im not going to say anything else on the matter but that if I write my solo think its cool and get told its not.. im probably just dropping out. Cause quite honestly i want my style and vibe to show.. not one that isnt to someone else personal taste so they don't think it doesn't fit the bill. And yes I feel personal opinions will weigh into there too. If you don't like what I have to say I'm sorry but honestly I felt that way since you guys went ahead and set lead spots without even asking people if they felt they fit there too.
    Bro, of course we asked where everybody felt comfortable with. I asked specifically to be put in blues. We held auditions, and some people did not show. Therefore everybody who wanted to participate as lead got a spot.
    Regarding intimidation, I dont know where you got that from, do your best and dont send the collab leaders 50 videos of yourself ?

You fear that we are gonna hate your solo and exclude you from the collab or something? All that was said is to write something that fits the song. I know you are in the rock section...are you gonna write something on an acoustic guitar? Probably not, cause it doesnt fit very well.

I really wanna understand where you are coming from brother.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think the ego bit mighta been for me, and that's cool. This is a lot of work, and as far as I'm concerned, the captains are producers and Aileé is the executive producer.

Syn plays a lead for the next record, and the band thinks he can do better or the producer thinks he missed the mark, Syn may be a little flustered, but he's going back to the woodshed to try something else. 99 times out of 100, what he comes back with eventually will be better.

That's working collaboratively. It's a TEAM effort.

If someone feels they're being treated unfairly for PERSONAL REASONS by a captain (producer), they are welcome to escalate to the EP (Aileé), who is always nothing but fair.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I think the ego bit mighta been for me, and that's cool. This is a lot of work, and as far as I'm concerned, the captains are producers and Aileé is the executive producer.

Syn plays a lead for the next record, and the band thinks he can do better or the producer thinks he missed the mark, Syn may be a little flustered, but he's going back to the woodshed to try something else. 99 times out of 100, what he comes back with eventually will be better.

That's working collaboratively. It's a TEAM effort.

If someone feels they're being treated unfairly for PERSONAL REASONS by a captain (producer), they are welcome to escalate to the EP (Aileé), who is always nothing but fair.
    WhatEdSaid in very corporate language XD

Reactions: AGA

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    While I understand your concerns @Calvin Phillips, I think @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga outlined expectations very early in the sign up;

"COMMITMENT: If you are part of the collab there is an expectation of EFFORT. Out of respect for all the other people who are gonna put hard work into this collab, please do not drop out and give only your best effort.
    This includes:
    * Learning (beginner) or coming up with your part (intermediate) of the collab and be willing to re-work it if it needs improvement.
    * Practicing your part and posting your work in progress to the RIFFS section so others can help you polish your work.
    * Record the best quality you can (not distorted audio or sloppy performance, the actual video quality is NOT as important as the performance and audio quality) and be willing to re-do it if it's not done properly."

Don't write yourself off, it's almost sounds like you are ready to give up before we even begin. We all want you to be part of this project, we also want to see the best you (the best all of us) put forward.