• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Color Tone - Lesson 4

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Anybody got a great exercise or game I can play to learn my fretboard better. I still struggle a bit to make that access quicker, and as I can see fretboard knowledge is so damn important.....
When you do an exercise or learn a song you can try to find exactly the same notes somewhere else wherever you can. That's how I did it anyway

CAGED works great too.

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Where they are. Like PG says in the vid. En on the #9 of A....well which one is it where is it? And so on.
If you're just looking for where the notes are. This may help you. Start on low e. Open low string is obviously e.

Wheres the next e. We know 12 across. Well going up is 5. So we can go up twice here to a. Take 10 away. 2 left. So 2 up one across. Your next e is 2nd fret d string. Make sense?

The next one we have only 4 frets on the string to the next note so that one is a little difficult right? Nah. Just remember open e before on bottom matches top. Then remember 5 frets down to the b string. So 5th fret b string is e as well. Sp n9w you have found 3 octaves of e. The rest are all on the high e. Just 12 over. I think theres 4 total es in normal tuning. There are countless places to play them though. Using the method I just wrote out here should help you find them all. Once you know where all your notes are for whatever note you are looking for you can start thinking how do I get from the to the other.

Early on in my improvs I made it a point to look for my gs. I didnt care what I did to get there.. even if it was mindless playing that made no sense I landed on g. When I started learning more techniques it was easier to move around cause I already knew where I was going. The path there always is different. But the result is always the same. That's how your motifs are written.

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
If you're just looking for where the notes are. This may help you. Start on low e. Open low string is obviously e.

Wheres the next e. We know 12 across. Well going up is 5. So we can go up twice here to a. Take 10 away. 2 left. So 2 up one across. Your next e is 2nd fret d string. Make sense?

The next one we have only 4 frets on the string to the next note so that one is a little difficult right? Nah. Just remember open e before on bottom matches top. Then remember 5 frets down to the b string. So 5th fret b string is e as well. Sp n9w you have found 3 octaves of e. The rest are all on the high e. Just 12 over. I think theres 4 total es in normal tuning. There are countless places to play them though. Using the method I just wrote out here should help you find them all. Once you know where all your notes are for whatever note you are looking for you can start thinking how do I get from the to the other.

Early on in my improvs I made it a point to look for my gs. I didnt care what I did to get there.. even if it was mindless playing that made no sense I landed on g. When I started learning more techniques it was easier to move around cause I already knew where I was going. The path there always is different. But the result is always the same. That's how your motifs are written.
I gotta digest the explanation. But I think I know what you mean. I will for sure apply that idea of trying to land on the roots all across the neck! Thanks man

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Such a cool lesson! Any suggestions on how to incorporate color tones into your playing? Trial and error works but exercises and drills might be faster. Haha. Anyway, thank you for the first part! I'm onto Part 2!
Effectively, improvise over backingtracks and pick the ones you like. Not Everyone likes the same ones. Just stay on one chord for a long time and land on each if the color tones and pick the ones you like.

Synner Endless Summer Collection