• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Advanced Fun Altered Chord Hack for ii V I

Advanced Theory

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So I was studying this video:
    And I came to the realisation that you can use the chord demonstrated in this lesson as a sort of V altered chord, basically anywhere on the D string to facilitate a ii V I.

The chord in question if you're treating the lowest note as the Root is : R b5 b13 9 - So it's like it's implying a Dom9 (b5b13) If that's not a convoluted way to name it.

It's like if you were to treat open A as the Root of this V chord - Like a ii V I in D Major - and played the chord voicing from the
    D string - (fret 2), G string (fret 3), B string fret 1, and High E (fret 1) - Left hand fingers- 2, 4, 1, 3 in order going down. You would end up with loads of A altered chords, but it gives you a mix of altered intervals and colour tones (9ths,13ths etc) in your A7 altered voicings.

To my ear, using the shape mentioned above, there aren't any that sound bad, even as you go further away from the voicing of the I chord.

Give it a try playing - E min7, (Open A + That shape on any fret, D maj 7)

You can even try them out as Arpeggios!

Let me know if you find anything cool 😁

Reactions: idssdi

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Dope lesson! I like this. A lot of time can be spent(and should be spent) exploring movements involving tritones and how the function with dominant V's. This one is new to me, so thank you!

It's brill right!? And yeah I completely agree, it just frees you up for so many options. No problem! I'm glad you got something out of it 😊

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    I use this all the time. The fact that it changes the altered notes is brilliant. It's not just inversions of the same V chord. Sometimes you get a b5, sometimes a #5 (b13) and sometimes both. Like he said - it's a quick way to add a lot of depth to your playing.
    Great find!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I use this all the time. The fact that it changes the altered notes is brilliant. It's not just inversions of the same V chord. Sometimes you get a b5, sometimes a #5 (b13) and sometimes both. Like he said - it's a quick way to add a lot of depth to your playing.
    Great find!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

It really is a great hack! 😍 And that's the thing that amazed me about it...it seemed to work using the Wholestep method Jody used, but also moving it in the halfsteps inbetween that he wasn't using (if that makes sense?)

It's almost like you can stick that voicing anywhere and it still voice leads somewhat smoothly back to the I or a different drop 2 voicing of the I? It's fascinating 😍

And No problem!