• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

guitar setup and maintnance

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
If you’re absolutwly sure it is the nut I would say bring it to a tech. I’ve had this problem too and the guy in the guitar shop said that there is a sharp thing in the saddle or somethimg whih ia peetty easy to fix by usidng some sandpaper.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    “At the post” – you mean the tuning peg/post?
    Hmm… Honestly, unless there’s a burr or something on the post, that may be a player issue. I broke a lot of strings in my early days that were just a matter of not having my technique down. I don’t know how long you’ve been playing, but that period was several years for me.

J

Jak Angelescu

How old is the guitar? With any metal, it’s prone to wear and tear and sometimes there are little nicks in the metal that your string can rub against and cause the snapping. I would still suggest taking it to a tech to have it looked at because regardless of what it is, it’s probably going to require some skills to get it fixed.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Making sure the string can slide easily at any contact point with the guitar is also important. Whenever I change strings, I rub the whole surface of the string around the nut with a pencil, so it slides around the nut more easily. Same goes around the little anchors on the headstock if present. If the string can’t slide easily over these contact points it might catch. It’s a minor thing but it may help. Putting lubricant (in this case pencil graphite) around the nut can also help tuning stability if you don’t have a Floyd. But as said before, probably best to take it to an experienced technician and they’ll for sure give you a diagnosis and often a fix for a very reasonable price.