• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Hit A Wall

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
might be a stupid question but is their such thing as over practising? i felt i was making good progress last week, practising every night at economy picking. But this week for some reason i feel i’ve taken a step backwards almost. I seem to have hit a wall and can’t progress anymore. Maybe its just a patience thing, and it will come soon. Just frustrating and wondered if anyone has this?

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Know your limits. What I mean by that is don’t overdo it, don’t force yourself too much. Sometimes taking a break helps. Also you can’t always expect to progress at the same pace. Sometimes you learn a new technique and you feel like you progressed so much but perfecting that technique takes way longer and that’s why you might feel like you are not progressing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Are you only practicing sweep picking?
If so you can swap between this and the next day you learn something different.
Or you have a day you only play some songs and have fun.
This is what I do and it helps me. I’m learning the CAGED system right now and I get exhausted. So I started to combine it with all the early intermediate lessons.

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah this can work.
One thing papa gates says in some lesson is, if you think you are stuck in a tempo, then skip the tempo you are stuck in and increase the tempo and try as much as you can to play to this more difficult tempo. This will probably sound horrible but if you go back to the tempo you are stuck with you might think this isn’t so bad and I sometimes works better than before.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
We all want better technique – but it’s just a means to an end. Try practicing playing what you hear in your head. Put on a backing track and DON’T play for the first 4 bars. Instead hear a 4 bar phrase in your head. Then play that phrase on your guitar for the next 4 bars. Rinse and repeat. And by phrase – I mean melody. NOT JUST A SCALE. 90% of the guitar players I hear are just regurgitating scales and patterns they have learned and they are simply not musical. If you want to be a great improvisor, you need to play what you hear. This is much harder than it sounds and is as much about developing your ear as it is about developing your guitar chops.