• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How did you get your first guitar?

supraja vadlamani

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I’m interested to know how you got your first guitar. I had to drive a 100km through a terrible snowstorm in Canada to pick up my second-hand (8 year old) fender strat from a seller off Craigslist. It wasn’t in good shape and I snapped the high e within two minutes of playing it, got it fixed soon after and modified certain things and now we’re 4 months in and going strong!

Elton Breaux

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I drove 2 hrs to see my dad who never was in the picture. I made him feel bad so he asked what he can do, i made him buy me a guitar LMAO it was a bass and then later i traded it for an electric.
Weird story but thats how it happened lol

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I’m not even 100% sure what exactly got me into wanting to play guitar. But I remember going to a used electrical store. And getting this piece of jump and a terrible amp for 75 dollars combined. My early youtube videos from my original account has this guitar. When I felt good and ready to upgrade thats when I went for the Revenger. I also bought a cheap acoustic somewhere in the middle there. But I dont have that guitar anymore.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    A far related Cousin from the us brought an acoustic guitar for my little Brother for his communion in which I started playing in the end.(we live in Germany by the way) Thats how I came to Play guitar. And that cousin took me to our local music store where I fell in Love with a White Ibanez Gio. I guess I have annoyed my Patents pretty much with it because one day my father ordered the exact Same guitar from the Internet as a Gift for me.
    How original was that, huh? 😀

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I got it from my father. A jumbo acoustic was lying in his room at that time and I had nothing to do. So just picked it up and plucked strings like absolute noob. My father thought, let’s get this bored kid something to learn. That’s it.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    My first guitar was a rental. No one in my family had any musical inclination, though my middle sister played flute through high school in the marching band. Alto Music in Monsey, NY, rented me a Fender Jaguar and a little Peavey practice amp for about $25 a month, I think. After a few months and with me sticking to it, my parents were willing to let me spend some money on something. I wound up buying my cousin’s beat up Aria Pro 2 explorer body guitar. I really wish I’d kept it, but I think I traded it in? I don’t recall. Back at Alto a couple years later, I bought an Ibanez PL1660 – their offset V/Rhoads knockoff. I wish I’d kept that one too. I bought an old Sunn tube amp from a newspaper add, and started collecting pedals. Around 1990 I bought a Fender M-80 half stack and my black RG550. In 1991 came the red Ibanez 540R Custom and a Roland GP-16 multi-effect unit. That was the core of my tone until I started playing again in 2009.

Mervin Moras

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    How much did the Craigslist guitar cost anyway? Anything more than $180 and you were scammed. Cuz my first guitar (acoustic) was around $200 and my second (electric) was $150 and it came with a free amp. Plus I still have the acoustic 🙂

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My first guitar was an inexpensive classical acoustic from Guitar Center when I was 10. It was purchased because I had a lot of musical family and my mom found a guitar class that my friend was also in and she thought it would be cool for us to be in the class together. My uncle got a good deal on the guitar and so I was in the class but didn’t stay in it for long because I didn’t enjoy the classical acoustic as a beginner. Ended up sitting in a closet for a year until the uncle who got the deal on it played it at an Easter get together at our house. Less than a month later that uncle passed away, and I thought I’d pick it up again. Started taking lessons from a family friend and then a year later at the next Christmas I got my first real electric guitar, a Laguna electric and Spider IV amp from those Guitar Center starter packs. Still have the guitar, it’s absolutely beaten from trying to put a DIY fretless neck on it among other things, but it still works.

supraja vadlamani

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    @Mervin, my Craiglist guitar cost $140 (Canadian dollars) with a fender amp and a guitar stand! I thought it was a sweet deal but don’t know too much about guitars yet so it’s possible I was overcharged although I have no complaints whatsoever. She’s beautiful!

supraja vadlamani

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    @Sayonil, it’s funny you say that because I grew up with guitars all around me and never once took the opportunity to learn it. The idea of learning it always seemed impenetrable to me until last year, when there was just this shift in thinking that I could actually learn it.